the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

port area

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2010 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys. I've got at tc sounds tc-3000 15" that I've been running in a sealed box. I'm looking to change to a ported one. The specs I have for the sub states 4.2 cubes with a 30" long port with an area of 25 sq inches. That would leave the tuning at 20hz which is really low. That would also leave the port about 15.25*1.64 inches. Does that sound thin to anyone else?
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
T.Hill 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard that sometimes companies will tell you how much port area per cube instead of how much total. maybe thats why it seems like a thin port to me
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
Your example is a ratio of close to 8:1, which is the most extremely narrow slot ratio you should design.  Most extreme, but acceptable.  Better sound, possibly, could be derived if your slot dimensions ran more square...such as 8 X 3 1/8 " or 6 X 4 3/16 ".  But that's not a given.  The quality of the build will have most to do with final results, such as rounding the edges of the slot port on the inside of the box, rounding the edges of the cutout on the backside, flaring the port on the outside (trickier).
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
T.Hill 
Posted: June 29, 2010 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
Ok since the box will be around 17" tall if I make the port 8x3 1/16 should I keep it on the opposite end of the box from the sub? In the top corner, bottom corner or in the middle?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic