icon

5901 door unlock problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cobraguy 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if anyone may have seen this problem in the past or know what may be going on.
I have a Viper 5901 installed in a 1999 Explorer. This car has three door lock relays: (1) unlock the driver's door (2) unlock the other doors (3) lock all doors. The alarm is wired using the door unlock harness for the driver's door unlock relay and the lock all relay, and the 2nd unlock (lt blue) of the H2 harness to unlock the rest of the doors with a 2nd pulse of the remote unlock button, or auto unlock. (unlocks the doors when you turn the key off)
Here's the problem. It has to do with unlocking only. The driver's door always unlocks. auto unlock or remote. If I push the remote twice, the driver's door unlocks the first time, the rest unlock with the 2nd pulse. Every single time without fail. But on auto unlock when you turn the key off, again, the driver's door unlocks every single time without fail, but the rest of the doors only unlock about half the time. I can't seem to find anything that will make this happen. It seems to be random.
Now recently, another item has popped up. When the other doors (not the driver's door) do operate with the auto unlock or with the remote, once in a while, I get 4 or 5 unlock pulses in about one second. Again, this is all on the 2nd unlock wire, and it only happens about half the time they decide to unlock when you turn the key off. Oh yes...you will get these multiple pulses occasionally now when you hit the unlock button the 2nd time on the remote.
Where the 2nd unlock feature works every single time without fail with the remote, that has to rule out an intermittent connection. Doesn't this have to be in the control unit? Or am I missing something all together here?
Thanks for taking the time to review and help. It's appreciated.
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
What wires did you tap into for your unlocks?
Does this vehicle has factory keyless entry?
Did you use the light green for driver unlock?
Which setting did you use with the ignition unlock?
After first unlock or with?
Try switching the setting to see if it makes a difference.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
This sounds vaguely like a problem with the 2nd unlock relay. It might be worth checking this out.
Have the driver's door unlocked and ground the relay contact which is fed by the light blue from the Viper, keep doing this to make sure that relay isn't intermittent. Also there should be diodes on the lock, unlock, and second unlock wires, 1N4004 bands towards the alarm.
cobraguy 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
91stt, I have tried several different settings and nothing seems to make a difference. The 2nd unlock is still intermittent when you turn the car off.
I'm going to check for diodes. I'll bet there aren't any...and that may be the issue with multiple pulses. But it too is intermittent. I really don't think it has anything to do with a connection or relay as the doors unlock every single time when I use the remote (hit it twice) or the unlock buttons on the car. It never, ever fails. That tells me the relays are fine, and the connection from the alarm is good. I'll look for the diodes.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic