icon

viper 5901 troubleshooting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2006ramcrazy 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2010 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram that I installed a Viper 5901 R/S alarm in right at a year ago... I have had absolutely no problems with this alarm or remote start for the last year until recently... The remote start began about a month ago giving me an error that the Hood was open... I checked the hood pin switch and verified the wire to it was grounding when the hood was open and not grounded when the hood was closed...
That went on for about a week while the R/S worked off and on.... Now it won't remote start at all and keeps giving me an error that the Neutral safety wire is not grounded. It flashes the parking lights 8 times which according to the manual indicated the neutral safety wire is not grounded (I've verified it is grounded)
So I have no idea what to do with it now.... I've checked the entire install wiring twice and everything has a good connection and properly routed so I don't know what to think...
Can somebody shed some light on this weird problem with my Viper...
Thank you!!!
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2010 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Could there be any corrosion on the pin or wire?  Maybe a break in the wire that is grounding?  I had some issues with my hood pin after about 18 months. Was corroded and would allow the remote starter to work with the hood open. Not Cool.  Replaced the hood pin for a mercury switch type of switch.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2010 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
It's no longer saying it's the hood switch now and I even tried to R/S it with the hood switch unhooked and it still won't start.
It keeps flashing the parking lights 8 times and the remote says "Remote Start Error"
I pulled the lower dash cover off today and spent two hours going through each wire the system uses... I double checked the Neutral safety wire it keeps saying is not grounded and it is in fact grounded so I have no idea what the heck is wrong with it... I'm just really frustrated with the fact I spent allot of money for a good R/S alarm system and it's giving me problems after only a year of use...
I really hope somebody with experience with these systems will chime in and offer some good information that can lead me in the right direction to solving this problem.... The R/S is a real convenience after the truck has sat in the sun all day.
Jess
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have the black toggle switch plugged in and set to the on position? You must have this switch there otherwise it won't start!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
t&t tech wrote:
Do you have the black toggle switch plugged in and set to the on position? You must have this switch there otherwise it won't start!
Yes, That was one of the things I checked the other day... I also made sure the switch itself is actually working properly, which it is...
Today I put the system in "Valet" mode via the remote and attempted to R/S it and it started 4 times in a row with no error's....
I took it back out of Valet and it is now working correctly.
I'm dumb founded!
This Viper is possessed
2011 F-250 Super Duty
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
Did your battery go dead lately?  My work van with a Viper 5701 acts weird if I let the battery go dead. The remote start trys to start, just going half a crank and then stops. I have to pull the 12 volt power to the brain for about a minute, plug it back in and all is normal again. Go Figure.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
smokeman1 wrote:
Did your battery go dead lately?  My work van with a Viper 5701 acts weird if I let the battery go dead. The remote start trys to start, just going half a crank and then stops. I have to pull the 12 volt power to the brain for about a minute, plug it back in and all is normal again. Go Figure.
No it hasn't..
Actually that is why I added the Viper R/S system.... I rarely drive my truck. It sits either in the garage or in the driveway all the time... After It would sit for a month or so the battery would go dead so after finding the trucks battery dead a couple times I decided to get the Viper 5901 to keep the battery up.
It has a feature called "Smart Start" It is programmed to start the truck automatically if the battery gets down to 10.5v
But to answer your question, Nope it hasn't gone dead recently. Now I did pull all 4 of the Viper's fuses to see if it would reset and the R/S start working again but It did nothing differently when I put the fuses back in the system.
It's possessed or something...I dunno
2011 F-250 Super Duty

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic