icon

4 ohm dvc to handle 4 ohm load

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ouchmyears 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
I want to wire my single 12" 4 ohm dvc woofer to handle a 4 ohm load. Problem is, the wiring diagrams I have come across only show how to wire 2 ohm and 8 ohm. How do I wire a 4 ohm dvc woofer to 4 ohms?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Wire only one voice coil.  This will cut the power handling by around 30%.  If the speaker handles 400 watts, it will have a power rating of around 280 watts using only one coil.
ouchmyears 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Wow. Seriously? The speaker has a RMS of 500w. The problem I'm having is that the amp is wired at a 4 ohm load, but the speaker can only be wired for either 2 ohms or 4 ohms. So right now I have the speaker at 2 ohms, and the amp at 4 ohms, will this eventually cause a problem?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
The amp will only be "wired at a 4 ohm load" if you wire the sub the way i am an idiot suggests. Otherwise it will be wired at 2 ohms or 8 ohms with that sub and will produce power accordingly. Only wire it at 2 ohms if it is stable at that impedance and match the wiring configuration to the power required. Or if no available option works with what is needed, then replace the amp with one that will get you what you need.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

And remember next time you purchase an amp or a speaker, make sure you buy something that matches the component you already have.  If your amp is only stable into a 4 ohm mono load, do not attempt to run it into a 2 ohm mono load.  Unless you want to ship it to me to get it repaired. 

Just like you saying Ouch, My Ears, your amp is saying Ouch my transistors.

ouchmyears 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2010 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
What happened was I had a mono Infinity amp (500w rms) at a 2 ohm load, and a Rockford HX2 (500w rms) at 2 ohms. Long story short, the amp had issues, so I decided to stop using it. So, I had to dig in the closet and pull out my old Rockford 500a2, which is 500w x 1 @ 4ohms. Now since the amp is only 500w @ 4ohms, I am trying to find the best setup for this 4 ohm dvc speaker. I still have the speaker wired at 2 ohms, but my amp keeps overheating. Do you think if I I rewire the speaker to 4 or 8 ohms, that my amp won't get so hot and overheat?
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 06, 2010 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
I know it will not get as hot or overheat. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic