icon

2004 gmcz71 bose speaker replacement?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
04gmcz71 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2010 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
im new the forum and just wanted some type of opion if anyone has dealt witht his situation my rear magnet on my driver side speaker broke off and i was tinkering with the idea of just replacing the entire system from the head unit to all the speakers.its a 6 speaker system.basically im not sure if its the bose with the external amp or not.ive heard that some of these bose system have external amps for all the speakers.just looking for an answer what is my best solution to this.the magnet on my rear speaker literally broke off the speaker! if it comes down to it i fell confident that i could replace the entire system,but if there is an easier route any suggestions would be appreciated.
roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2010 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a factory Bose system in your GM vehicle there is an amplifier, the factory speakers are rated at 2ohm, replacing these with any aftermarket speakers which are usually 4ohm will be fine, if you are just going to replace the speakers look for a good set with a higher sensitivity rating also in a 3way to maybe a 4way coxial, to give you a wide range of sound, the front speaker size is a 6 3/4 but any 6/12 will work fine, the rear is the same size or a 4x6, let me know if you have any more questions on replacing the radio, hope this helps.
Chadillac
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,669
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 16, 2010 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
You really need to determine what impedance the original speakers are.  If they are 2 ohm drivers, there are several 2 ohm aftermarket replacement speakers available.  If you replace your 2 ohm originals with a 4 ohm driver, you will notice a reduction in volume from those speakers. 
smgreen20 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
I believe that's why roadshop570 stated to get one w/a higher sensitivity rating. If you have the BOSE system, it will say on the speaker grill. Also you'll need a few pricey adapters to install the radio in you want to keep door chimes and Onstar if equipped.
smgreen20 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
Where in the he!! is the edit button???? Forgot to add, go here> www.denalitrucks.com for ANY in depth details on GM's. There's a few guys at that site that work for GM in the office. They can get damn near anything you'll need.
04gmcz71 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
thanx guys for all the info,i just tested the speaker wire that is running to the 4x6,i had one set of wires give me a reading 1.5 ohms,and another give me a reading of 15ohms! there is no indication on the speakers themselves as to what ohms they are so in light of all of this,i think im going to take the long road and just scrap everything and start fresh.i know that in order to retain the onstar you need an adapter running from the new head-unit along with another adapter if you plan on keeping the steering wheel controls.i dont use onstar and ive heard alot of different things about the adapter for the steering wheel so ive decided to opt to not include them in my install.i just paid the truck off and dont have plans of ever selling it.so is there anybody out there that can direct me to a website with info on full installs or that has had any experience doing the same thing on this make and model of vehicle?
smgreen20 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Mine:
www./smgreen20
Click on the one titled "No Limits".
smgreen20 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
I've been a member sense 2006 but sense I had computer issues I couldn't post here for a long time so I'm still considered a "Rookie", that's BS. Time served should have some relevance here, but try this and leave out all of the spaces so it's all one link.
www. carstereo. com /smgreen20
Cut/paste in address bar and take out the spaces.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic