icon

were my expectations off on my sq system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dertitan2 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe, with a Kenwood KDC-X693 Excelon HU, Alpine SPX-13 Pro 5 1/4" Comp Front, Alpine SPR-13C 5 1/4" 2-Way Rear, JL Audio 12" W6v2 in Pro Wedge JL Box, Alpine PDX 4.100 for the fronts and rears, Alpine PDX 1.600 for the Sub, Dynamat on the Front and Rear Doors, Stinger 1 Farad Cap.

The sound quality is great, extremely clean sound, but I expected to get a stronger punch on my low end???

Were my expectations wrong??  Was I thinking about SQ, but in the back of my mind I was expecting BOOM????

Did I choose the wrong type of sub box, should I have gone with a ported one??

Don't get me wrong, I love my system, but I am soooo new to car audio, that I am not sure if I was thinking through the results of a SQ system.

Any advice or council would be helpful??

Thanks

roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2010 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Just one subwoofer? You have alot of mids and highs now with quality and volume and the trunk is probably well insulated, the vented box would give you more or louder bass if built right, I still would  add one more sub with a vened enclosure though.
Chadillac
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 15, 2010 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
6.5's are a big improvement over 5.25's for the front.  The midbass punch is part of what you are missing.  Otherwise, the stealth box is small and that sub could most likely ( without me looking at all the details) stand being housed in a larger enclosure.  And add dynamat to the rear deck and trunk lid, as well.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 16, 2010 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  
The W6 is a very punchy subwoofer, especially in that box.   And it has some incredible output. So I'm thinking your problem might be caused by the environment. Try moving the subwoofer to different locations in your trunk and see if you can find one that works better.
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2010 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
I have to agree with stevdart. If you get the correct box, you should notice an improvement from the sub. also 6.5's would be an improvement for your mids, but i see you already have type x and r's so that would more than likely be a very expensive change, so i would start with the box.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2010 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
6.5's are a big improvement over 5.25's for the front.  The midbass punch is part of what you are missing.  Otherwise, the stealth box is small and that sub could most likely ( without me looking at all the details) stand being housed in a larger enclosure.  And add dynamat to the rear deck and trunk lid, as well.
i second that.
also, an audiophile system is never perfect right out of the box. it takes a lot of time and a lot of tuning and tweaking to make all of the speakers blend with each other but if you can get it right it is well worth the effort.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic