2004’s 2ohm 400w + amp & DVC n VC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steve West 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  

Hey all

Noo! 2003's range has gone along with my research and incomes 2004.

SO now im looking for a 2ohm 400w (+ preferbly) amp on the cheap. I was previously gonna buy a Alpine MRD 300 but finding one will be hard nowadays. I was just wondering what 2004's range has to offer as you yanks get all the technology before us brits.  

Is there much noticable quality difference over a mono amp over a 2ch bridged? Ive heard mono's will stay cooler for longer?

Oh yeah, and what is the advantage of having a dual voice coil over a single vc? THe sales blurb only states meaningless comments like "more bang for ya buck"

Cheers for all ya comments!

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

Main advantage of dual voice coil subs is that they give you increased wiring options.  And depending on what kind of amp you have, sometimes going with a DVC sub is the only way to fully realize all of the amp's possible power output.

I don't think there's a very big difference between mono amps and a 2 channel amp bridged, unless you're talking about really large amounts of power (1000 watts+).  Even then the difference is minimal.  The quality of sound when you're talking about bass has much more to do with the type/brand/model of sub and type/size enclosure, than the type of amplifier you use.  Certainly getting one that puts out enough power is important if you like really loud bass, but 200 watts from a mono amp will not sound better than 200 watts from a 2 channel amp.

Usually class D amps run cooler than the typical class AB (2 channel) amp, but as long as you give your amp enough room to breathe, and wire it up properly, you don't really need to worry about it overheating (in my opinion).  Many class D amps are 2 or even 1 ohm stable in bridged mode, whereas almost all class AB amps are only stable at 4 ohms bridged or 2 ohms stereo.  in this respect the obvious advantage of a class D amp is that it will allow you to hook up multiple subs without harming the amplifier, and it also is more likely to let you take full advantage of all of the amp's possible power output.

I'm assuming when you said "mono amps" you were referring to class d amps?  Nearly all class d amps are mono and made for driving subs (cuz they don't reproduce high frequencies well), but that's not to say there aren't some Class AB amps out there with just mono output.  So just be aware that you need to look for more than just any old amp that says it has mono output, if you expect it to run cooler and be able to handle increased speaker loads.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
A little more "light" reading for you if your interested...
The DVC FAQ
esmith69's info on the mono amps is right on. I have also seen (and felt) more heat comming from class AB amps that were bridged than comming from a class D mono amp. But as long as the amp is a "quality" amp with the proper circuit protection, ventalation (fans, heat syncs, etc.) you'll be fine with either.
A class AB amp will give you more versitility than a class D because you always have the option to run Stereo, all-be-it with less power than when bridged.
Watts are watts, it all depends on what you're running it to (like esmith69 said as well). If you are looking for a "cleaner" signal for mids and highs, then AB would be better. But for subs it doesn't make much of a difference unless your SPL and SQ are super-critical (ie. if you are making a competition system).
Also keep in mind that some companies have other amp classes. Rockford for example has what they call a class BD mono amp. Here's an article on the class BD amps and their advantages over class D.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Steve West 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all

This years new line up of Amps seem to be focused on providing there best power at 4 ohms, which is bad news for me just ordering my Kappa Perfect running at 2/8 ohms.

I can if i want return it for the DVC version running at 4 ohms. Would you reccomend me exchanging it for that version just for an easy choice of 4ohm amp?

The RF POWER 551S has really caught my eye with its rep and features.

Can u recommend me an amp that will provide me with 400w load at 2ohms (preferbly upwards) Price range is around $350,

Are there any alternative solutions? i know u can reduce the resistance thru amps and subs so....

ALL Help appreciated!  

Steve West 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys

Can u recommend me a 2 ohm, 400w + amplifier? (preferebly closer to 600w)Money isn't really an issue when it comes to quality so any suggestions.

Ive just bought myself a brand spanking new Kappa Perfect VC, which is causing me alot of hassal with this years amps just being axed and the new years amps all being focused on 4ohm loads!

Do you recommend me exchanging it for the DVC 4ohm model or look for a 4ohm amp and knock it down to 2ohms? sorry to us the expression crudely, i dunno how you do it or how safe it is, thats why im a newbie. 

Much appreciated guys!

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest a JL audio 500/1 http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/5001.html
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
check on audio sales web sites you will find the amp and price that yuo want. shop shop shop for a good price. also try best buy in your town  they have fr stuff. look for other brand too there is a lot of product out there.
Big Dave
wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Keep in mind your wiring options for DVC's when you are buying subs and amps...
You can wire 1 2ohm DVC into a 1 or 4ohm load
You can wire 2 2ohm DVC's into a 0.5, 2, or 8ohm load
You can wire 1 4ohm DVC into a 2 or 8ohm load
You can wire 2 4ohm DVC's into a 1 or 4ohm load
Let me know if you need diagrams
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Steve West 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

Aah, cheers Squirrel, that cleared up alot of things. I guess where i was orginally coming from was whether a 4 ohm DVC sub would take a 2ohm load ok. Those diagrams would come in very handy though, thanks alot.  

I think the DVC version will be a well worth exchange. It makes me wonder why they bother with the single VC version at all?  2004’s 2ohm 400w + amp & DVC n VC - Last Post -- posted image.

So over a RF Power 551s and a JBL BP 600.1 the choice is so hard! Value for money over RF quality.  

wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
Don't I know it! I just spent $1200 upgrading (I've always preferred RF). Could have gotten it cheaper, but it still wasn't full retail (2 RFD2112 Punch HX2's and a Power 1000bd).
If you're still interested in ideas for a 400-600+ watt amps (and don't care about the $'s), try the Rockford Power 500bd. It's a 2ohm stable mono amp that has a bare minimum rating of 500 watts, but usually produces 600+. I ran one (rated around 682 watts from Rockford) with 2 SVC RFP3412's and was hitting 142db.
SVC's are still pretty popular because they don't have the power requirements of DVC's (hence it's cheaper to build a system with 2 SVC's and a 500 watt amp then 2 DVC's and a 1000 watt amp!) Some other manufactures make DVC's that require less power, but what's the point...IT'S A DVC!
I drug my feet getting my HX2's, but OMFG! Now I can't believe that I waited so long!
Here's the diagrams, hope they help...
2004’s 2ohm 400w + amp & DVC n VC - Last Post -- posted image.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic