icon

$1,000 system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
digitaljq 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

I'm new  to high end car audio, been listening to the factory stereo for years. I just got a new 2003 toyota tacoma 4 door truck and the high-end factory stereo sucks. After a trip to my local Car Toys store,  I decided I can't afford retail prices. So I decided to internet shop, design my own custom subwoofer box, and pay a custom professional to do the install. I only have a grand, so here is what I came up with.

Alpine CDA-9807 Head Unit - $250.00 Delivered

US Acoutics Amp - 4 channel amp 60 watts- Crutchfield - $145 Delivered

Rockford Fosgate RFZ3408 Punch Z 8" Component Subwoofer Crutchfield $65.00 Delivered

Rockford Fosgate Punch 200M -100W x 1 Mono Amplifier Crutchfield $165.00 Delivered

Total $785

$215.00 for amp install kit,  wire, install labor.

I think I'm headed in the right direction, not sure. I'll have to build the Sub box with other funds, and at a later date, I'll replace the factory speakers.

If anyone has any better ideas please post.

Have fun, digitaljq

digitaljq
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of sound are you looking for?  Or maybe a better way to ask that question is, what do you NOT like about the factory system?  Not enough bass?  Too much distortion when you turn up the volume?  All of these factors have a lot to do with how you should upgrade your system.

digitaljq 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

My problem with the factory system is the the FM radio has weak signal reception outside the metro area, I have to drive to my parents home, every weekend and it's a 80 mile drive. My old ford ranger stock radio could make the trip, locking in the stations for about 70 miles, this one is about 50 miles.

So I want a better FM radio for sure.

#2. The sound of the bass is very weak on the FM and just almost OK on the CD side.

The factory radio in my old ford ranger is my reference point, and it had much more bass with 4 speakers,

this tacoma has 6 speakers.

#3. I work on a computer 8 hours a day, so I was thinking it would be nice to have a system that could play MP3 or WMA files, I haven't ever heard MP3 files on a car system, so I can't say for sure how full or good the MP3 files sound, but it sounds like fun.

I'm not looking to win any SPL compition or anything, I just want to be able to fill up the truck with good sound, and maybe, crank it up once in a while to showoff to some close friends.

digitaljq
equalizir 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
you could even go on ebay and probably save some money on the amps.
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
I would look around more, crutchfield is expensive. An aftermarket radio will get the same if not worse fm recpetion - if you want better recepetion gets a better antenna. You could get a pioneer mp3 player and a sub and amp for $600 +/- You really don't need a 4 channel amp unless your going to be wanting to turn it up way up. Just as side note - being your vechile has a preium sound system it will need to be rewired so your looking at a lot of money in labor for that and lastly your going to loose 2 speakers if you want to put a 4 channel amp in, you might be able to utlize fhe factory amp somehow into the new system.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

If you travel a lot, might want to think about satellite radio.  I definitely don't think you need to get a 4-channel amp, especially if you were to get a decent aftermarket head unit.  Also, if you travel a lot you might want to think about getting satellite radio.  Xm is only 10 bucks a month and it is really an awesome thing to have, especially if you like a lot of different kinds of music.  I like to think of it as the automotive equivalent of cable tv, and how many of us don't have cable tv?  The sound quality itself is much better than typical FM radio station reception.

Here's what I would do if I were you, considering you're on the road more than most people, and that you don't need a lot of additional bass:  get a decent pioneer or alpine head unit, an xm tuner, and upgraded rear speakers.  This way you'll get the ability to play MP3 cds, you'll have dedicated xm control and near cd quality sound, and you'll get more bass from a pair of decent aftermarket rear speakers.  And to top it all off the amp that's built in to the aftermarket head unit will make the music sound much better especially at moderate to high volume levels. Total for all of this would be WELL under 1000 bucks.  I'd say figure 300-400 for the deck and xm tuner/antenna, and another 75-100 for a pair of good rear speakers to give you a lil more bass.  And of course to be fair you gotta figure in the cost of xm programming for a year (12 months @ $9.95 per month), which would be $119.40.  So worse case for the whole setup would be ~$620. 

If you really aren't interested in the satellite radio, I've always been a big fan of the fm tuners that are built in to the pioneer decks.  From what I've experienced, they are among the best at pulling in weaker stations, as well as avoiding interference.  So you could get always get an aftermarket deck and an add-on subwoofer, but it sounds like you don't really need that much extra bass.  I think you will be more than happy with just upgrading the rear speakers and the factory head unit.  Just my personal opinions...

AccentShow 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
I have a cd/mp3 player in my car, I have upgraded all my speakers, but the sound quality from the mp3's is MUCH better than making a cd from mp3's then listening to it, at least in my opinion. I agree with all of the other guys, if ur not out for a loud system, skip the amps and subs, and just upgrade your speakers, that will help out alot. I hope this helps.
Best Buy Mobile Installer
premieravp 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Don't buy from crutchfield until you check out www.pricegrabber.com. Crutchfield is HIGH. Email me at premieravp@usa.com and we can discuss your system further. I own a shop and have almost 20 years experience.
yeovil 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

AAs an example:

1. Rockford Fosgate Punch 300X 4 channel amp -$145 w/o shipping - http://www.dealtime.com/xCP-Rockford_Fosgate_Punch_300X_Car_Audio_Amplifiers~FD-420~PD-20295642

2. Alpine CDA-9807 - Crutchfield shows $280- as low as $225 - http://www.dealtime.com/xCP-Alpine_CDA-9807~FD-421~PD-20607218~SRID-41199dcdbfc0743103b6f77b~DIL-1

3.Rockford Fosgate RFZ3408 - Crutchfield 60 - as low as $40 - http://www.dealtime.com/xKW-rockford_fosgate_rfz3408/NS-1/GS.html

4. Rockford Fosgate Punch 200M - crutchfield $160 - as low as $105

5. That totals w/o shipping $515. Most equip was actually from the same store -Etronics. Crutchfield w/o shipping $645.

I used everything you listed except the amp-I just went with more power in the same price range you quoted from a good name amp. I'm sure others will have ideas for other equipment-you definately need to check the net and ebay for pricing. I just put together a set that includes Rockford Fosgate" 1000bd amp, 851X amp, HX2 rfr3112 sub, FNQ3614 component speakers, a Sony WX4500x head unit, and a Sony CDX757mx changer as well as an Alumapro CAP 5 capacitor. I don't profess to be any kind of expert at audio either. I took advice from some friends and listened to their setups. They had RF so I went with that as well. Idid myu buying over the net and EBAY and paid $1845 for approximately $33-3600 list-depending on where you see the list prices- that will vary on different sites.

If you're getting old-turn it up so it still sounds the same-If you can't turn it up any higher -get a bigger amp.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
The RFZ series is one of Rockford's worst (lowest quality) product lines. If you are set on getting an 8" RF sub, I'd suggest the RFP3408 HE instead. It's not their best, but it's not their lowest line. And it matches/exceeds your specs from the RFZ3408
RFZ3408
4ohm
SVC
150RMS 400Peak
RFP3408
4ohm
SVC
200RMS 400Peak
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com