icon

what kind of db's should i expect?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gman91 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
I have two eclipse 87121.8 12 " subwoofers, ( 300w RMS 600w peak ), running off of a rockford fosgate Prime R500-1 amp ( 320w x 1 @ 4 ohms ). Im thinking about getting them metered, what can i expect from them in a nice home build box designed for the subs?
roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
Nowhere near what you want, lol, what vehicle and location its in? Type of enclosure, sealed or vented?
Chadillac
gman91 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
I would be happy with a 125, they are in a saturn SL 97 and a slot ported box.
roadshop570 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
Upgrade your big three, depending on your head unit you may want to add a line driver, but it will get you to your mark.
Chadillac
gman91 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
I got an alpine CDE-100 HU, wth is a line driver? And Big 3 will be soon, but will it really be that much of a difference?
roadshop570 
Posted: July 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine deck is great, always remember every little bit helps, it should sound good.
Chadillac
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
I was going to post that the OP could realistically expect SPL greater than 75db, but I didn't want to sound patronizing.  The answer is impossible to tell you since it is a function of the enclosure and the installation as much as it's a function of the woofers and the amp.  Build it, install it, then test it and report back what you have.
Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2010 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  

gman91 wrote:
I got an alpine CDE-100 HU, wth is a line driver? And Big 3 will be soon, but will it really be that much of a difference?

IMO don't waste your money on a line driver, and upgrading the Big 3 never hurts even though your amplifier is quite small and a standard electrical system should be able to handle it.

Support the12volt.com
gman91 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
I got it hooked up, my windshield wipers and windshield flex quite a bit.
DYohn 
Posted: July 22, 2010 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic