icon

pop when turning off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mdboy76 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
just installed my gf old headunit to my car. and re-done all the wires to my needs since i'm putting in a equalizer pretty soon.
here's my connections.
first, at the back of the headunit i have front/rear rca outputs. the front rca goes to the mtx amp which connects all my front/rear speakers and the rear rca goes to the other amp that runs my subwoofer.
for the amp's the grounds are connected to one grounding point and i bridged from amp to amp. also the lead turn-on.
the rca's are ran in the driver side and the power cable in the middle of the car.
what's causing this problem. tia and diagram is appreciated
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
ground your amps one ground one amp. the ground is so important. use the same awg wire for the ground as the power supply. don't share any thing.
Big Dave
emorse2323 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
YOu do want everything grounded to the same point
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Am I following you correctly here... You ran amp1 ground into the amp2 ground and then to your ground point?
1) Check your ground for the headunit. Make sure it is secure and ran to bare metal (not just to something metal in the dash).
2) If your amps are chained like I asked above, get a distribution block and run seperate grounds for each amp to that block, then to your ground point. Again, make sure the ground point is bare metal and on the frame of the car (not a parcel shelf or something like that)
3) Your amp(s) could be shutting off at different times then the headunit. If this happens you get feedback in the amp and that signal gets sent as a "pop" type sound in the speakers. Try running seperate remote leads as well. Some amps do not like daisy chaining (just like with the grounds), and it could affect performance.
4) Check the output voltage of your remote lead with a DMM if your able and post the result
5) If your amp(s) are turning off after the headunit (and not at the same time), you could also install an "on/off" switch or relay to the remote line(s) to manually turn them off before the headunit. What usually happens is when the headunit turns off, it cuts power to the remote lead(s) and RCA pre-outs. If the amp has not discharged it's power before it loses the RCA signal then the feedback/popping can occur.
Be careful with the double-posting! You'll be getting replies on both threads.
I'm sure I've overlooked something... anybody else?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic