icon

Disable 2006 Dodge Ram Sentry Keys?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
paul h 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  

I recently got in another truck, 06 dodge ram 2500 diesel and it has those dang sentry keys, actually only 1. 

Is there a way to bypass those or disable them completely, including the ignition stuff so I can use a regular cut ket from the hardware store? 

I hate these sentry keys and only have 1...so even more screwed if something happens. 

I read somewhere long time ago that someone took the chip out and hid under steering column or by ignition cylinder or something and it worked great...anybody know anything about that?

Thank you.

Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

"Use your head man!"

Disabling an anti-theft system like you mentioned is a huge liabilty issue!

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

well sure there is liability issues, but i have glued the transponder chips to the ignition before.

Howie has done them a number of times with acrylic glue. Sometimes its just necessary for remote start purposes.

If i were you, I would but an idatalink bypass with the ads-usb cable. Call the company to tell them you only have one key, proceed to programming, send them the info, and they will send you back a firmware within the hour, so you dont need 2 keys to program.

wire it up as per insturctions, the ground when running wire, simply attach that to a monetary push button that is hidden. So when you want to start the car, hold the button and use your 3 dollar key you cut at the hardware store.

now this isnt possible if the key is laser cut, then you should just buy another key.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

An easier solution would be to buy a 556UW(key box), istall it and put your key in it. They are cheap to buy and will send the keys code to the truck everytime you start it if you simply ground the black and blue wires, then give the red wire ignition power. After installing this you can use a simple metal key to start the truck. Put the 556UW somewhere under the dash that is accessable by you incase of emergency(you can remove the key from the keybox and start the truck with it.

No programming, no trip to the dealer for another key, investment of 25 bucks for the keybox. do an Ebay search for the 556UW...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2010 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
oh right, forgot about the KIB Disable 2006 Dodge Ram Sentry Keys? -- posted image. been using too many data based bypasses
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
paul h 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2010 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

An easier solution would be to buy a 556UW(key box), istall it and put your key in it. They are cheap to buy and will send the keys code to the truck everytime you start it if you simply ground the black and blue wires, then give the red wire ignition power. After installing this you can use a simple metal key to start the truck. Put the 556UW somewhere under the dash that is accessable by you incase of emergency(you can remove the key from the keybox and start the truck with it.

No programming, no trip to the dealer for another key, investment of 25 bucks for the keybox. do an Ebay search for the 556UW...

Thank you sir!  I will definitely give this a try!

I appreciate it!

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2010 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

To provide a minimal level of security, you could run the 556U Blue wire ( GWR / (-) Status Out ) thru a hidden toggle switch to ground.  Better than nothing and will still give reliable starts.

Bulldog model 791 is another "Key in Box" unit that works well and can be found inexpensively.

Soldering is fun!
paul h 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2010 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  

Again fellas...thanks for the info.

Got a 556UW on the way....found the manual online at http://www.directedstore.com/manuals/556UW.pdf

What method is the best for this truck and I assume the keysense wires will be coming off the ignition harness but on the wiring diagrams on here, it doesn't list a keysense wire?

Also...as a side note, the ONLY key I have for the truck is the one with the keyless entry stuff on it, so it has the big head....will this be ok in this box?

paul h 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2010 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  

OK...well after looking at it again and smacking myself....I would use the standard installation where the ring goes on top of the cylinder correct....I WAS NOT paying attention....and if theres any tips on this, I haven't done too much with these ring deals, always used the program modules as someone else said...so any tips would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks again guys for the help!

Fixin to make a post now about the stereo adapter not being good...even after exchanging it for another!!

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
Make the ring smaller with a wire tie so it fits tightly against the factory transponder ring. You are right, no keysense wire just the black and blue to ground, red to ignition. Running the blue through a hidden toggle is a good suggestion incase you want the security. The key is a tight fit. What i do is remove the circuit board from the head of the key and install just that in the keybox. You can even remove the battery, it's not needed for the chip. This still allows you an actuall key blade that will start the truck in emergencies...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic