icon

viper 5901 headaches

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dodgeram10 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2010 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

Picked up a 5901 from a local shop thinking it woulnt be much of a problem installing it in my 2010 ram using a chall bypass & D2D . I couldnt have been more wrong .

First let me start by saying this isnt the first 2way remote start system i have installed & have the help from my local shop if im unsure about anything .

Using the directwire diagram i proceeded to test all my wires with a multitester before making any connections just to be safe . Wired up a relay for parking light flash (i know the 5901 has a built in parking light relay ) then the hood pin & safety shutdown wire . All that was left was the igintion to the chall . All connections soldered then shrink wrapped & taped .

Plugged in the antenna , shutdown switch & D2D cable after programming the 5901 with a bitwriter thinking it should be good to go . I programmed the chall of course .

Everything seemed to work fine . Remote started my truck 1 day & drove about 12miles to town . When i removed the key after switching the ignition to the off position to my amazment the truck stayed running .

No problem it just went into valet overide somehow . No chance . The brake pedal , safety shutdown switch nor popping the hood would kill it . So i yanked the brains fuse & the truck shutoff .

Tried every troubleshotting tip dei suggested . First they said wire it W2W . Wouldnt even energize the ignition relay wired direct . So back to D2D to try some more troubleshooting . Next i replaced the chall . Still wouldnt shutdown after remote starting . Then replaced the t-harness & D2D cable . Still same symptoms.

At this point im about ready to take a hammer to it . Dei says to switch out the brain with a new 1 . So i go back to my local shop & they exchange brains for me . At this point i figured my troubles should be over . Wrong ...

With the new brain installed the doors wont lock or unlock but it arms & disarms fine just no door locking . So after rechecking my wiring i hit the remote lock button & the doors lock . Try to remote start the truck & starts right up & appers to be functioning correctly . Go inside to grab a bite to eat & come back & try arming & disarming . Again no locks activating & now no remote start . At this point my head is ready to explode & i yank the entire system & reinstall my python responder 460 w2w using the same chall bypass & all works flawlessly .

Im at a loss & have no clue to what is happening & am thinking the 5901 is possessed .. I read somewhere on this site the early batch of 5901's had a 68% defective rate out of the box & am thinking my local shop got ahold of the bad batch .

Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2010 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Thats why "local shops" shouldnt sell Viper over the counter.
dodgeram10 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

The problem isnt with the install . If you ever installed a 5901 you know theres 2 connections from the remote start to the bypass . 1 is the D2D connection the other is the ignition wire . Makes it real difficult to mess up the wiring .

After doing some research im certain they got ahold of the early batch . How do i know for sure you ask ? The brain has a seperate connector for the valet button , led & antenna . In the later version they are all in a single connector at the brain .

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2010 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
the first generation 5901 had such a high defect rate, it was unbeleivable.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2010 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with ted! I had so many headaches with those things i couldn't believe it was dei!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2010 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
These units are NOT for DIY install, good lord, I'm getting sick of saying this. Basic problem, people assume and don't test, don't listen to us and waste our time.
Door locks door triggers (especially open circuit late Fords and Mazdas)
By-passes
Tach learning.
Oh and of course 5901/2 and its clones, remote control problems.
dodgeram10 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2010 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
These units are NOT for DIY install, good lord, I'm getting sick of saying this. Basic problem, people assume and don't test, don't listen to us and waste our time.
Door locks door triggers (especially open circuit late Fords and Mazdas)
By-passes
Tach learning.
Oh and of course 5901/2 and its clones, remote control problems.

So your suggesting that if i had the unit professionally installed i wouldnt have any issues ? The high failure rate is due to DIY installs ?  

I have a version 2 on the way & am pretty sure i wont have a single issue with the new unit .

Instead of blaming DIY installs it might be more productive to post a sticky of know problem devices .

Wouldnt that be easier that wasting your time with people that dont listen?

t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2010 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
  Research your Post! Make sure you are not double posting, search the forums first. Many questions have already been answered many times.

To the op, if you read the fourum rules like my good friend howard and myself you would know the above info i just posted! The thing is, that topic with those early gen 5901s have been covered so many times it's really cumbersome to cover it over and over again when all you could do is research it!

Read the fourum rules! And yes as professionals we always reccomend consulting professionals to have your electronics installed, it's why we live!

dodgeram10 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2010 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry , i did do a search before posting . Only after 2 hours of reading did i find out about the high failure rate . I have been consulting a pro installer & dei .

Getting dei to admit the gen1 had problems is like pulling teeth . The local shop had no idea about the gen1 except they have been having nothing but problems with them .

I agree that dei is not for DIY installers but get a little upset when im told its the install when they are know to have issues . Reminds me of dei suggestions of did you check the ground .

The only reason i posted was to confirm the units had a high failure rate which you have done . Thank You ..

Again sorry for venting ...

t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2010 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Glad you understand! You're welcome! And hope to see you around the fourums! Cheers!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic