icon

rear loading horn enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dukesrebelyell 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
is there a computer program that i can buy that will help me design highly technical enclosures? sealed and vented enclosures are fine but i want to get into better designs that will help with the desired outcome for the enclosures overall sound. any help would be great, thanks
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2010 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
I presume you've read through Brian Steele's site?  http://www.diysubwoofers.org/
Support the12volt.com
dukesrebelyell 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2010 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
i read through the entire site, and you almost need an engineering degree to understand some of the stuff that hes talking about. i realize that these types of enclosures are highly technical but i was kind of hoping for a basic starting point without having to review calculus. also, i noticed that all the enclosures that he had pics of were all for either home audio or studio quality.
35 Hertz custom car audio and automotive fabrication
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 03, 2010 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

A folded horn enclosure is usually rather large.  That is probably why they do not have any built for a vehicle.  You may want to look into a Transmission Line enclosure.  They too are a bit large, but they are small enough to build for an automobile.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=At6leFqBklr0tZ0TupQ3YI2bvZx4?p=transmission+line+speakers&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-892

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2010 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Enclosure design is a highly technical science.  Calculators can make it easy to get close enough for most common alignments, but building something less common requires detailed understanding of the physics.  As my friend above mentions, one reason you don't see bass horns in vehicles is because to build it correctly would be larger than most vehicles.  rear loading horn enclosure -- posted image.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish and perhaps we can guide you?
Support the12volt.com
dukesrebelyell 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2010 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

basically i want to build an enclosure that can produce high spl levels, after reading about all of the different orders of enclosures i came to the conclusion that the 8th order will produce the highest spl of all the different enclosure types. i also want to find a site that has the information broken down enough for someone with a good base in mathematics and physics to be able to understand the information. i understand that it is highly complicated and i pretty sure that i wont be successful on my first attempt but i feel that if i can understand the physics of what is going on with the design of the enclosure as well as what is actually happening on the inside of it then i will become much more knowledgeable in car audio and be able to help my customers achieve the quality of workmanship that i want to provide. manufacturing basic sealed and vented enclosures is just fine for the average shop but i want to be able to produce a product that nobody has in the city where i live. it will be a good personal achievement and be a very good buisness decision at the same time. hopefully you guys can lead me down the right path of knowledge.

thank you

35 Hertz custom car audio and automotive fabrication
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 06, 2010 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

The practice of designing and building speakers takes much, much time and money.  The cost part of the equation goes down when you read and understand a lot of the physical math (less mistakes).  Eventually you get to a point where, like a scientist, you can work to further advance an idea that has already been explored and authored.  That means you will have already gone through the history, understood the physics, and can keep time and exploratory costs to a minimum.

Sounds like I've been there?  Ha, barely.  Just a project or two in the speaker-building world can tire you and set your bankbook back a bit. 

What I think you should do is study up on how to find the resonant frequency of any vehicle in your bay ( start here) .  And be able to build a vented or bandpass enclosure that would be loudest in that vehicle, using subs that you are familiar with using.  That, in itself, is a tall order.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic