delayed relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
money410 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2010 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
i desperately need help on learning how to make a delayed relay
i need to be able to push my momentary button in (jus a quick push) and it only acticvate my relays that i already have working..i need to be able to hold that button for 2 or 3 secs then it activate another realy wile still activating the originals
my point is i need to push a putton and ofter one 2or 3 seconds of holding it it needs to activate a realy....my push button is negative pulse im working with 12 volts
SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE
i like leds!!!!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2010 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  
If I understand this question you want a 3 sec delay with a latching effect...yes? No?
money410 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2010 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
i dnt understand what you mean by latching
i just need a cicuit to delay my button
i need to be able to press the button quickly and activate only one thing then i need to be able to hold it for three seconds and still activate the original thing wile after then three seconds it will activate another relay
i like leds!!!!
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2010 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
By latching, do you need the second relay to stay energized even if you release the button after the 3 seconds, or is the relay supposed to open up again after you let go.
money410 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2010 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
no it cant stay latched it has to open again it has to be a from a momentary to a delay momentary
hopeing that makes sence..
i like leds!!!!
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2010 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
You can do it easily enough with some solid state components, dut that depends whether you're willing to work with them. Lot of guys shy away from them though, preferring just working with relays and passive components. Is the relay you're controlling with this going to be something that's controlling a large current?
If so, you don't want to do with with passive components, because that'll result in the relay contacts switching slowly, which is generally bad because it can cause the contacts to overheat and burn up.
money410 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
its only 12volts and hardly no amps
n i dnt mind useing anything long as i have a wire diagram or something to follow
i like leds!!!!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
If it's low current and "hardly no amps" why is a relay needed?
If I knew WTH you were trying to achieve, I'd run with dualsport's suggestion.
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, if you don't need any drive current capabilty, you could probably skip the relay.

If a slow rising output signal is okay, it would simplify things further- that's to say you don't need the output signal to change to 12V instantly, and it can just drift up slowly to 12V. Slowly being relative of course.

Otherwise using something with hysteresis such as a Schottky driver would square off the edges for a fast transition, to get it to pop up to 12V and down quickly..

So what are you doing with this?

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
You could probably achieve this with 1 528t, set to break then make but I still don't understand the sequence or the poster's misuse of English. latching is something that you activate and it holds like a light switch.
Timed is similar but for a predetermined interval and pulse is momentary.
Perhaps AGAIN if you explained what you were trying to achieve we could help.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic