2009 santa fe car starter issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fuzzai 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2010 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Hello Folks,
I've heard there's alot of technical ppl here that could possibly help me with my car starter issue.
I have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, 3.3, with a Hyundai Starter installed. Not a factory installed one, its their own "branded" one i gather, that was installed after i purchased the vehicle.
My problem. When i start the vehicle with the key fob, and the car is locked, im being told by my Hyundai dealer, that i have to use the KEY to unlock the car. The key fob will not unlock the vehicle, if its started with the car starter.
This can't be. I've owned many vehicles with car starters, and this is a first.
Anyone help me with this?
Thanks.
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2010 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
this is normal for imports.  Hyundais, kias, toyotas, hondas all are like that.  That is why when someone comes in to buy a r/s for one of them we usually recommend a system with keyless entry as well.  If you use the keyfob to start the vehicle, what is the sequence?  Have you peeked up under the dash to see if there is a brainbox lurking up there that may be branded.  
Advanced
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2010 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

Yep, it CAN be.

We use a stand alone starter like the Pro9051N because it not only starts the car but unlocks the doors if you hold the single button down for 3 seconds. DEI also makes one like this...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2010 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Iv'e seen a few Hyundai "factory" remote starts and all of them had lock and unlock buttons. Is this a one button remote, if so, what does it look like (shape/size)?
fuzzai 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2010 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, thanks for the input.
i don't think i explained it correctly.
The keyfob, has a starter, unlock, lock, and panic.
Unlock works fine, no pboelm, lock works fine. Panic works too easy.
WHEN i use the starter, lets say, in the morning, and the car is locked. so i start it, it starts.
As i walk up to the car, the key fob, will NOT unlock the car anymore, i have to use the key.
The dealer says this is how it is, to me, that makes no sence, whats the point in the keyfob if i have to use the key to unlock my car?
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2010 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

Go back to the dealer and tell him to rip it out and put in one (of your choosing) that WILL unlock the doors when the vehicle is running.   It SHOULD NOT operate like that.   Dont let THEM tell YOU how it should be.

Maybe their factory trained guys dont know how to wire the door locks the correct way??

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2010 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Like dasbogie said earlier most imports have this problem when integrating the factory keyfob to work with an "aftermarket" remote start.  as the OP said, it isn't a factory installed unit, but installed to work with the factory keyfob.  if it's an aftermarket keyfob then there is something wrong, but if it's the factory keyfob, i believe those don't function when the vehicle's ignition is on, therefore giving you your problem... 
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2010 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

Two possible scenarios.

Problem 1 - factory installed unit, will start car but keyless is non functional as the vehicle is running.

Solution 1 - use a relay and break continuity to the keyless module in the vehicle.
Problem 2 - aftermarket start unit installed only. you start by pressing a button on the factory remote OR a seperate transmitter given to you
Solution 2 - if aftermarket start only, you can follow solution 1 and retain keyless, if a seperate trasmitter see if it has unlock option built into the unit. I have never seen a start only unit without keyless.

I say find out what is installed, then report back. bring it back to the dealer and have them deal with it.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
fuzzai 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2010 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys.
joch1314, that can't be the problem, the keyfob i now have, is a Hyundai one, with ALL buttons on it, its not a second fob to start the car, thats what blows my mind.
tedmond - Thanks for that, i contacted a different dealer, they stated they knew of the issue, and could fix it. I called my dealer back to avoid the 1 hour drive, and when i told them someone told me they could fix it, he sounded stumped and would look into it.
RIght now it doesn't bother me, as its not winter, but when that comes and i use the starter, i told him it better work.
Thanks for your input guys.
Take care!
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2010 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
I understand that you have the factory keyfob.  that's what is creating the problem...you remote start the vehicle using the factory keyfob, (with their own "branded" one), as you said earlier.  What happens is that it sends a ( - ) signal, that is created when you push the button on your factory keyfob, that then activates their "branded" remote start add on, and starts your vehicle.  When the vehicle's ignition is on it renders the factory keyfob not functional.  Most imports have this problem...
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic