icon

new member from nm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oilspot 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2010 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
I've been reading through thread after thread since i found this forum this afternoon. I've been playing with cars for several years. I have lots of experience with the mechanical stuff but the electronics is new stuff to me.
Just figured I'd say hello.
On with the reading!
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2010 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
Welcome to the forum,it's been some time since I've poked my head around in here, always nice to meet new members.
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2010 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
welcome to the board
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2010 at 4:26 AM / IP Logged  
And welcome back CK!
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2010 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

Hey there Howie!! I was thinking about you the other day......I recently purchased a beautiful, well restored MGB. I've been feverishly working to get all the switches and rotating electrics (wiper motor, starter, alternator, distributor) replaced with more modern alternates not made by "The Prince of Darkness". new member from nm -- posted image.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2010 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Lucas seem to have vanished from the electrics side, now make injectors for M/Bez, VAG and BMWs in Europe, remember diesels are THE big sellers in Europe.
Smiths Industries became Smiths Aerospace and emigrated to the states, massive OEM supplier to Boeing, Lockheed etc.
BAE (who owned Rover/MG between Honda and BMW) also emigrated to the US, make Bradleys, F35 main contractor etc.
Funnily enough the only ECU manufacturer in Europe seems to be Siemens,
Whether it's a BMW, Toyota or Ford, that's who makes 'em. Wish I had the pin outs for their product, how much easier it would be for us!
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2010 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
Smiths Industries became Smiths Aerospace and emigrated to the states, massive OEM supplier to Boeing, Lockheed etc.

I still have the Smiths gauges though of course, wouldn't trade those out for anything else in the world. They work beautifully......

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
They were probably the best, better than Veglia, VDO etc., though in the 70s I had a Maserati that kept blowing the ignition fuses after about 1o minutes. It turned out to be the (Smiths) temp gauge, a short circuit on its coil.
On a serious note if the MG has the under hood fuse box, please please relocate inside. They were nightmares for corrosion in our damp climate.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
They are good gauges, no doubt. As fas as the fuse box goes, that was the first thing I changed. Moved it inside under the passenger side dash and changed it to a modern one as well. Really, except for the electrical things like that, the rest of the car has been done quiet well. I've almost eliminated all of the silly bullet connectors on the harnesses and replaced them with GM Weather-pack connectors. I'll bet you really have hell with those in your climate Howie, they are problematic no matter where you live.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic