icon

remote start car in drive w/key in ign?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s2k2004 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
Can you remote start your car if your car in D position and the key in the ignition?.
s2000
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
Honda s2000 i'm guessing! You should not be able to!
JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
I do not think that the S2000 is available with an automatic.  I may be wrong, well maybe not wrong, but I may be mistaken.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
i dont think the s2k comes in auto.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2010 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  

s2k2004 wrote:
Can you remote start your car if your car in D position and the key in the ignition?.

You should not be able to....is this some kind of bet you have with somebody as to if it possibel or not? I suppose anything is possible,  but you are not supposed to be able to do what you describe, no.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2010 at 4:08 AM / IP Logged  
NO! And if it has been miswired that way the installer shouldn't have given up on the day job!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
It depends on the car - on almost all cars there is an interlock that prevents the starter from cranking unless the tranny is in N or P.  Some older vehicles don't have this safety and one of the "checks" you are supposed to do after installing a remote start is to make sure it won't start in gear. 
Kevin Pierson
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2010 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
The S2k does not come in auto, so I am assuming that the OP means in gears.
If that is the case, as long as the clutch switch is not bypassed and the start wire is connect to the correct side of the starter cut relay, it should not start while in gear. If either are done, all bets are off.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2010 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
And so back to correct wiring in the first place, Q. Has this car had an auto only R/S fitted, or set up as auto without manual transmission reservation? So sue the installer for being incompetent in not pointing this out to the customer with some kind of written waiver.If that holds any water legally.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

Now DEI and AVOX remote starts will engage while the car is running in park and key in the ignition. It knows the car is running due to power on the ignition wire and doesn't crank but turns on so you can remove the key and run into a store without turning the car off. This is the way they are designed. My bet is that if you stop the car in drive and put the E brake on the RS will do the same as i cannot think of anything you connect that would know the difference of what gear it's in. If you were to raise the RPM's it would shut off tho, seeing an overrev.

As for the S2000, the poster states in "drive" position so he should be talking about a car with an automatic i would guess. Now he could mean a car in D that isn't running yet and thats's a different story. In this case for the most part the answer would be no due to the starter lockout built into most cars made.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic