icon

ford 20 pin world plug radio side

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snickstx 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Didn't find anything in search so thought I'd ask. I'm putting a 2005 (Phase II) HU in a 2003 (World Plug) Ford Explorer. Both vehicle & radio are Audiophile ford 20 pin world plug radio side -- posted image. w/DVD/SUB. I need to build a harness to convert. I can use a Metra 71-5520-1 for the car side and I had planned on using the Metra 70-5700 on for the radio side. The problem is with the 20 pin connector in the 70-5700.
I confirmed with Metra the the 20 pin connector only has 2 pins/leads however, as my setup includes the factory DVD, I need a connector with all 20 (or at least 5, 6, 7, 9, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20). So does anybody know if such an animal exists. A female 20 pin world connector with 20 pins/leads? Or any workaround that doesn't have me hacking my vehicle harness?
Ford actually made this specific harness (I guess for warranty replacements) but it has virtually disappeared.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 14, 2010 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Buy the harness and see if you are able to remove the pins.  If you can remove them, buy a second harness and remove pins out of one of them and insert them into the appropriate empty slots.
snickstx 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Occam's Razor...I like it. I'm just curious why manufacturers would exclude a large portion of their market. I know, in 2003 at least, most Fords with the 20 pin had the DVD player so to make a harness that doesn't support it would be a waste IMO. I did email one of Metra's sales reps some feedback though.
I'll give the idea a go and report back.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2010 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
What you need to find is a 'T' harness that would have used to integrate an Ipod for the 03. It would likely have male and female mating connectors, both for the power/spkr and the dvd, with wires interconnecting them.
Or something like this:
http://www.hfvt.com/content/page/catalog_product/id/125/HF_FD_AMP_1.html
from the Bluetooth interconnect market.
A Ford dealer probably has the terminals you need in their repair kits, which should fit in the 70-5700 housing.
Then again, I probably have that stuff at work..I'll look Monday.
snickstx 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Bingo, that's what I need. I hate to drop $60 just to cut off one end though. I saw something similar for about $8 so I contacted the seller to see if he had a source for the loaded connectors. If all else fails I just buy one of his and cut the end off.
Ford has the entire update harness that I could get (estimate) for around $60, that might put me ahead of piecing things together myself if I were to pay retail.
Let me know what you find. Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic