ported box dimensions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
def by 20 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2010 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
ported box dimensions -- posted image.
Jensen VM9214 Flip out, JVC 6x9's,Sony 6x9's Pioneer 6x9's, 2 Alpine Type R's in ported box, JL 1000/1 V2 Slash, Sony GTX6040 240 watt amp, Kicker CVR(Black), Alpine 500 (300) watt amp.
def by 20 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to plan a box for my truck but I'm confused on the ports.  First, does the shape of the port make a difference in performance?  Not circular vs slotted but a square port vs a rectangular at the same volume.  Also, how far in the box should the port go?  I haven't seen anything that specifies this in my manual.  Thanks

Jensen VM9214 Flip out, JVC 6x9's,Sony 6x9's Pioneer 6x9's, 2 Alpine Type R's in ported box, JL 1000/1 V2 Slash, Sony GTX6040 240 watt amp, Kicker CVR(Black), Alpine 500 (300) watt amp.
smgreen20 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2010 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
Yes and no on the port opening. As long as the opening of the port is the same area at ANY shape, it wont matter, what will matter is if you get to narrow of a port, like 1" x 16" as say 20" long, that 1 x 16 will cause noise issues from the air moving. Rounding over the edges will help w/port noise at any shape too.
def by 20 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2010 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks man.  I'd almost decided to stick with the boxes I had until I heard a friends 2 kicker cvrs in kicker ported box with an alpine 500 watt amp blow my doodie out the water.  Just need a couple more questions answered before I start designing and building.  Is it better to have seperate the box so each sub has it's own air space or let them run together.  Also, could someone tell me how to measure the depth of a port?  Do you include where it turns at the bottom of the box or what.  And one more thing, how do I tune the port.  I think the size of the port changes what the tune of the box is but I don't have a chart or anything to tell me.  I have winsid but alpine type r's arent one of the drivers it lists. 

smgreen20 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
There are a lot of box/port calculators on the net, 1 here even, just go to it and type in the info. Find the "center line" of the port, just imagine a line down the absolute center of the port and measure that.
def by 20 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2010 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

Got the wood and everything but I'm starting to second guess my design.  I had originally planned one port in the middle going to both sections but I don't know if that would decrease my box volume because the subs would hardly share any air.  So now I'm thinking about having one port on the side of the box and the  two subs in their own little section.  Would this be more efficient?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic