icon

Newbie wiring amp and speakers to stockHU

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdb8805 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1992 3000gt and I am wiring up an amp with component speakers in the front and a sub in the back.  I'm keeping existing rear channels from the stock HU.

My plan is to run speaker level inputs to the AMP (Power Acoustik PA2-300 2x70w RMS) for the left and right front channel.  The amp will then power two infinity 605cs component speakers with their own crossover.   Then I want to hook a DVC sub to each channel. 

a) will this work (I know its not perfect, and if it doesn't sound good I can always adapt the HU down to RCA out for the AMP)

b) should I wire the sub and speakers in parallel from the amp to present a 2 ohm load to the amp, or should I use a HP/LP crossover and send the lows to the sub (below 120Hz) and send everything else to the crossover for the infinity speakers (This would present a 4ohm load to the amp- I think)?

I'm not looking for huge power, just good, clean sound with a deep bass to round it out.

jdb8805 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

You are using the "HI INPUT" on your amp? instead of RCA cables? And i'm not familiar with Power Acousitik products but is that a 4 channel amp? So you are planning to run a DVC sub and a set of components off the same amp? Because don't you need at least two channels to run your speakers and another to run your sub?

If it is a 4 channel, run your speakers mono and bridge your sub and give it some more juice. (Hopefully someone can tell u if that amp has enough power or not cause I dont' know by what your running). If you're looking for better sound don't bother running it in parallel cause i find that the bass isn't as nice in parallel as it is in mono, but doing it in parallel will always give you more power.

If it's a two channel amp I can't see how you're going to run speakers and a sub off it.

Heck, you should just get an aftermarket HU. But hopefully someone will be able to give you better info than i did. It wasn't the best. But i'll check it out after I get back from work.

Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
jdb8805 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

Hi input - yes (for now anyway)

2 channel amp

As far as how to run 4 speakers off two channels:

I was planning on running 2 4 ohm speakers on each channel (in parallel) for a 2 ohm load
                              -or-
using a crossover to run the extreme lows to the sub and the rest to the full range speakers

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

Just answered a question sort of related to your situation.  If you have a 2 channel amp that is 2 ohm stereo stable, that means you can actually hook up 4 4 ohm speakers safely.  You wire two speakers in parallel for each channel, for a 2 ohm stereo load.  Here's a lil more info on series/parallel if you're interested...

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spkrmlti.htm

But as for your situation, I couldn't tell if the amp you have is a 2 channel or a 4 channel amp.  Let's assume that it's 2 channel.  I'd recommend against running 2 component speakers and 2 subs all on a 2 channel amp.  Because you'd have to use separate crossovers for the subs and the speakers, you'd present a whole bunch of potential problems.

a passive crossover will actually decrease sound output, especially one with a high slope.  This is because they are wired in series with the sub and increase the total resistance the amp "sees." So the power output is less.  Sometimes the difference is very obvious, sometimes it's not so bad.  Depends on a lot of things, including what materials are used for the crossover, what slope/cutoff frequency the crossover has, what impedence it's rated for, etc.

Usually I only recommend wiring each channel of a 2 channel amp in parallel when you're using identical speaker types (i.e. all subs or all speakers).  Or if you have a 4 channel amp you'd use front channels for just speakers and 2 rear channels for just subs; because most 4 channel amps have separate built in active crossovers for the front channels and the rear channels.

Although there a lot of active crossovers that will accept both RCA and speaker-level signal inputs, they all only give you an RCA output.  The speaker-level inputs are only there to allow you to hook it up to a head unit without RCA preouts.

I found this page cached on google and you might want to check it out, it has a lot of good info about passive vs. active crossovers and probably can explain stuff a lot better than I can.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:lAxp95NA_HAC:www.termpro.com/articles/xover.html+passive+crossover+chart&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

jdb8805 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

I spent a good 12 hours wiring it all up today.

I got it all wired up and working but I have the following problems:

Whenever the amp is on and the radio is not, I get a REALLY loud buzzing in the passengers speaker.
(I can't use the antenna lead because antenna is only up when am/fm is on, otherwise off, so I have the remote turn on wired so that the amp is on when the car is on)

Whenever the amp is on and the radio is not on, I get engine noise (RPM related whine).  (Power cables are run seperately from speaker cables.)

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
When you say the remote is on when the car is on, are you saying that you hooked it up to the ignition switch? Either way it's not being controlled by the headunit, so you could install an "on/off" switch on the remote line to manually turn the amp on and off. You can go simple and use a rocker or toggle switch (you can get them for about $2, and you can get lighted ones too), or you can get a little more complicated and use a relay. I'm not too good with those, but if you run some searches on this site you will find alot of info on using them for this purpose.
The rocker switch simply gets wired inline on the remote line, and mounted wherever you want it. It's the same principle as a light switch. Push it one way and you close the circuit, push it another and the circuit is opened
You might also want to look into some inline noise filters like these from David Navone.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
You said "whenever the amp is on and the radio is not on, I get engine noise....".  Do you mean the actual AM/FM tuner part of the stereo?  Or were you just referring to the stereo as a radio?  Cuz the antenna turn on wire will only send out voltage when the am/fm tuner is turned on.  when a tape or cd is being played no voltage is output.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic