icon

amp too quiet

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
def by 20 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2010 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
I just bought a sony gtx6040 4 channel amp and 2 more 6x9s.  my radio only has one preamp so I used a y connector and ran the rca's to the JL sub amp and sony amp.  I also had to use a y connector to hook the rca's to the sony.  Now I have 4 6x9s hooked to the amp and less sound is coming out of them than what is coming from the 6x9s hooked to the hu.  My level is turned all the way up on the amp and I don't know what to do. 
Jensen VM9214 Flip out, JVC 6x9's,Sony 6x9's Pioneer 6x9's, 2 Alpine Type R's in ported box, JL 1000/1 V2 Slash, Sony GTX6040 240 watt amp, Kicker CVR(Black), Alpine 500 (300) watt amp.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
If you battery is strong enough to push in the power, maybe mount the amp higher so the speaker current flows out easier?
Alas that is bullsh - don't try it (though it isn't as bad as the person that tipped their flat battery upside-down...)
What impedance are your 6x9's and how have you connected them?
Are they in series (hence lower output)?
(Or will you parallel them and maybe blow the amp?)
def by 20 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2010 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I figured it out, my radio was set wrong.  I always keep my amps lower than my battery and my speakers lower than my amp so gravity isn't working against the power.  Isn't that common since?
Jensen VM9214 Flip out, JVC 6x9's,Sony 6x9's Pioneer 6x9's, 2 Alpine Type R's in ported box, JL 1000/1 V2 Slash, Sony GTX6040 240 watt amp, Kicker CVR(Black), Alpine 500 (300) watt amp.
brent w 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
i see what you did there...
darksidecelica 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2010 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
LOL! I'm gonna start telling some of my customers that when they ask why there subs arent hitting as hard; see if I can get a few takers....
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 27, 2010 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
Optima Green top batteries.  The Gravity Defying series.  Coming to a store near you, really soon.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
And you can parallel them too!
Good old Optima.
I'll give OptimaJim credit though - I notice no difference in Optima failure rates whether that are solo or paralleled!
I must correct SiliconChip too - they just wrote (Sept10) that a deep-cycle cannot be a cranker as well. But maybe they understand why AGMs (usually) do not publish cranking currents.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic