icon

parking flash fuse blows

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hawks 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2010 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  

My alarm (Clifford 50.7x) has been working great for several months with no problems.  The other day I noticed that the lights were not flashing when I locked or unlocked the truck (99 Chevy Crew Cab) or when it was running after I started it with the remote start.  I checked the fuse in the alarm and it was blown so I pulled it out and put a new one in and it blew as soon as I hit the lock button on the key fob.  I then turned the headlight switch on and the fuse for the parking/dash lights in the dash fuse panel blew.  I can't figure out what went wrong since everything has been working perfectly fine and I haven't been driving the vehicle becasue I am doing an audio system install along with nav, HD radio as well as dynamating the doors and rear panel.  I have considered the fact that I may have accidentally knocked something loose or shorted a wire but I don't really see how since I haven't really been working under that side of the dash or with the lighting.  The only thing I have done is run speaker and power wires around the floor and into the doors and there isn't any parking or dash light wiring in any of those areas as far as I can tell.  No wires run to the back of the cab and then outside as far as can see.  I have run wires from the glove box area up into the stereo area but I don't see any parking or dashlighting issues there either.  I even dissconnected the white parking light output from the alarm to the parking light wire and the fuse in the alarm still blows and if I turn the headlight switch the fuse in the dash panel still blows.  So, I am stumped any help or advice on where and how to start looking for a problem would be greatly appreciated.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
If you installed the audio system recently, you could have grounded the radio to the vehicle's illumination wire. 
hawks 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2010 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you for the suggestion but I think that is unlikely as I used a schoshe wiring harness that plugs directly into the factory harness.  Plus the deck is not currently installed.  I will take a close look at it though.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: August 30, 2010 at 5:42 AM / IP Logged  
With the white wire disconnected it still blows the alarms fuse? That seems nearly impossible.
Is it possible you have shorted out the vehicles parking light wire somewhere in the car or ran a screw through the OEM parking light wire? Chances are you've got an OEM wire running down the drivers side to the back of the vehicle.
It could also be a shorted bulb - I had that happen to me once.
Kevin Pierson
hawks 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2010 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

Yes it still blows the fuse in the alarm even with the white wire disconnected when I hit lock on the key fob but the dash panel fuse dosen't blow until I turn the light switch on which is one of the reasons I am a little stumped.  I just thought of something though what about the locking system?  Maybe I should disconnect the locking wire and then try the remote start and see if the alarm fuse blows.  I only tried locking it.  I have only run screws in to mount speakers in the doors and rear pillars but there are no dash or parking light wiring going thru those areas I would think.  I also screwed down the amps to the floor but they are in the center of the floor over the drive shaft so I wouldn't think I would hit any of that wiring there either.  I haven't actually checked all the bulbs yet that I will do today.  The only thing I have done on the drivers side of the dash is run wires for speakers and power.

hawks 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
I take that back the fuse in the alarm unit dose not still blow with the white wire disconnected.  I must have left the blown one in or had put in a new dash panel fuse when I was trying to troubleshoot.  The blinkers all still work fine none are burnt out.  Maybe a bad switch?  Had would I test that?  Not very experienced with the multimeter but I have one.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: August 30, 2010 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

If the switch is in the "OFF" position and the fuse blows when you apply the voltage from the alarm chances are it is not the switch.  You need to check your parking lights, NOT your blinkers, as they are on seperate circuits. 

Have you removed any trim pieces that were screwed down?  That is one area where I have personally seen people nick wires.

The "big picture" troubleshooting for an issue like this is to verify your problem (most likely your parking light circuit is shorted to ground) and then isolate the system as much as possible and test each individual portion for a short to ground.  If you had a detailed wiring diagram for the truck possibly you could find where the front and back lights split off from each other - that would be a great place to start checking.  IE if you can determine that the problem is with the back lights at least you'll know which direction to go.  At a bare minimum possibly you could look up the alarm info for your truck and find where the parking light connection is and at that connection cut the wire and see which side is grounded.

Kevin Pierson
wrenches 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2010 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have a trailer hitch with the wire harness out the back?  Seen more than one of those done poorly and blowing fuses.
Think. It's not illegal yet.
gabedemelo 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2010 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
do the doors not have lights on them? maybe damaged illumination wire while going into door? try using relay for lights maybe module is defective?
GreenGables
hawks 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

That does make sense that if the switch is off and the alarm tries to flash the lights then the fuse in the alarm blows that the switch is not bad.  The only trim pieces that have screws that I have removed are the door sill strips.

I do have a trailer hitch but like I said the truck has been sitting so I don't think that would be it but it is worth a look...thanks.

The doors do have lights in them and all are working fine as well as interior lighting.  On a diffrent circuit.

Since I have the dash apart I disconnected the wires from the heat/AC panel to eliminate it as the problem and still blows fuses.  I am going to do the same with the gauge pod and see what happens.  If that isn't it then I am going to hunt down a schematic and start tracing wires I guess.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic