viper 5301 problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mswanson 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2010 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
I'm in desperate need of some help.
I have a 2004 trailblazer, viper 5301 and a DLPKGM using D2D.
Currently, the 5301 is attempting to remote start the car, but there is no cranking. I can hear some relays click very close to the engine a couple times over about a 10 second period, after which the r/s fob indicates an error.
Also, the lock/unlocks are not working even though the r/s fob indicates it worked, and the horn sounds.
I have put the 5301 in automatic mode. I have tried both virtual tach and have used the tach wire and set the 5301 to voltage.
I believe that the DLPKGM is programmed correctly, but I don't see its LED respond to lock/unlock or remote start.
I have the following wired:
H1/2 Red to IGN B5 Red
H1/3 Brown to horn at IGN
H1/5 Black to common ground
h1/6 **** should I be using this ****
h1/7 Green to DLPKGM green
H3/1 Pink to IGN c6 Pink
h3/2 RED / wh to IGN d2 RED / White
H3/3 Orange to IGN d1 Orange
h3/4 violet to yellow
h3/5 Red to IgN B5 Red
H3/6 Pink/wh to white
H3/7 pink/black N/A
H3/8 RED / black to red B5
R/S
rs/1 to ground
rs/2 violet/white to dlpkgm violet/white
rs/3 brown to brake switch white
rs/4 hood pin
rs/5 n/a
kplgm
violet/white to r/s 2
green door to h1/7 on viper
purple to OBD ping #2 (purple)
pink to IGN c6 pink
h2 not used
r/s aux not used
door lock 3 pin
not used
I seem so close to getting this to work! Any help would be so greatly appreciated!
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 15, 2010 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

try hooking it up W2W... i have not had great luck with these things in D2D.....

also, i set these vehicles for voltage sense.... you could try that or run a true tach... i dont like having bypass modules supply tach.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
mswanson 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2010 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
Kevin,
Thanks alot for your reply. I wired up w2w and it didn't make any difference.
I pulled the shutdown error code off the viper and got "Timer mode/Turbo mode/Manual mode error." Explainsion below reads "timer mode error: ignition is on or shutdown input is active when activating timer mode. Turbo mode error: Turbo mode is programmed off, egine is not on or shutdown input is active. manual mode error: MTS not enabled."
I have not ran a true tach yet. I found this:
Tachometer      white       ac       cluster or PCM/ECM, blue plug
Notes: 4.2L: The PCM is attached to the driver side of the engine. Tach is in pin 49.
So I would need to run another wire through the firewall?
Thanks for the help!
kgerry 
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

did you program the unit for auto transmission??      did you ground the BLACK/ white NSS wire?   is the valet switch plugged in?

i always set these vehicles up as "voltage sense - 4 second crank" and have never had any comebacks....

of course i also use an XK01 on these vehicles as well (D2D works fine for me on these with XK01)

Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
just in case kgerry didn't mean it (which i think he did by the way, but wanted to be more specific), make sure you have that toggle switch plugged in to the 2 pin black port on the viper AND flipped to on. it also won't remote start without that switch plugged in. also, double check and make sure you actually put it in automatic mode
kgerry 
Posted: September 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
yes that's what i meant... ha ha              i forgot to plug in the valet switch once and pi**ed around for about 20 minutes trying to figure out why i kept getting a manual tranny error..... doh!!
Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
tydbol611 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2010 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Mswanson I have a 5301 viper unit also but i have not hook it up how do you know what wires you didnt need. I have the install manuals and I want to install this myself so i need your help.

If there is anyone else that can help I have a 2006 toyota tundra access cab.

mswanson 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2010 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
Guys! After giving up for a while and approching it fresh, I got this bad boy to work!
Thanks alot for the help. I was able to get this system working with D2D. Two problems that I had.
1. Ground when active needs to be grounded (as was mentioned)
2. OBD II wire WAS NOT CONNECTED well at all!
A reminder to all novices like me. Triple check all connections with a digital multimeter before making any assumptions.
Oh yes, and you do have to have the switch plugged in and turned to the on position UNLESS you program the 5301 to normally assume that the switch is open. I saw that as an option i believe on menu 2, but I didn't bother.
System works with virtual tach or with voltage. I have the tach wire attached, so I'm keeping it in this mode.
I'm not sure what to do about the rear defrost if that's controlled via the OBD port or if I need to wire that in. So that's the next thing to look at.
Thanks again!!!
chris3710 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2010 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys. I just got a Viper 5301 for my 2003 Ford F150. Ive got eveything hooked up and the doors, lights, horn all work, but when I try to remote start, it sends an error on the remote and the lights flash 7 times. No I belive its in Manual mode from what I read on here, but how do you program it to be in automatic mode? Please help. I just can't seem to figure it out! (The toggle switch is hooked up along with the NSS) Any ideas??? Also what type of bypass module do I need. I bought a universal one, but not sure if that is working. Any help much appreciated! viper 5301 problems -- posted image.
-Chris3710
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2010 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
In the downloads section of this web site is the install manual for the Viper 5301.  Starting on page 42 is how to get into the menu to change settings. You want Menu 3, Item 1, Option 2
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic