icon

crossover on the high pass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2010 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
A friend of mine asked me the other day if it was ok to put a 3-way x-over on the High Pass leads from the source, and branch each output from the XO to high pass input terminals on his amps. He figured it could work as a way to bandpass certain channels using the LP filter of the amp and the HP filter of the XO. I never heard/thought of that and couldn't form a answer. Anyone?
This is what I do for FUN!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2010 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
If the low pass filter of the amp is set to a higher frequency than the high pass filter of the radio, then yes this will essentially make a bandpass filter.  Radio set to 160Hz high pass and amp set to 500Hz lowpass would produce frequencies from 160 to 500Hz
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged  
AH cr@p! LOL I meant High Level leads! He wants to run the source's front channel high level leads to his component set's XO's, then from the output of the XO's, both tweets to one high level input of a 2ch amp, the mids to the high level input of a different 2ch amp. I'm curious if there's anything different about the inner filters of a source that could not be duplicated by wiring in this fashion. I apologize for that last post. I hope this post makes sense!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  

That will not work.  A passive crossover is dependent of the speaker's impedance in order to work.  If you install an 8Ohm driver onto a crossover designed for a 4Ohm driver, it moves the crossover point a full octave.  The input impedance of an amp is thousands of Ohms. 

ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
thanx Idi

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic