icon

Just Upgraded & Confused

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ucantbeme 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  

I have another quick question. I have a stiffening capacitor and i need to know how to hook it up. I have two amps and a distributor block and I wanted to put the capacitor before the distributor block. I am confused now because I have just upgraded my system and I did not have a capacitor before and I thought that the main power just ran straight thru the capacitor, but I was looking at a diagram somewhere else on the net and they had it wired diffrent. I believe that they had the main power wire going from the battery to one terminal on the capacitor and one wire coming from that same terminal to the amp and another wire coming from the other terminal to somewhere else that I'm not sure of. Where does that other wire go? Is this the ground? How do I go about wiring this without messing something up?

Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
As far as where to put the cap, before or after the cap, it can be done either way depending on your setup.  What are your two amps running?  As far as wiring it, your power wire will go to the positive terminal on the cap. Also from the positive you will connect it either to your amp or distribution block, depending on your setup.  Hook the negative termianl to ground, preferebly the same ground as your amp to help prevent ground loops. It is a good idea to keep all of these wires less than 18" if possible.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
Here's a little more detail on "it can be done either way depending on your setup". If you want your cap to regulate power to both amps, then wire it in before the distribution block. If 1 of your amps is for mids/highs and the other is for subs, then you could isolate the cap to the sub amp. In that scenereo you would wire the cap after the distribution block and on the power wire for the sub amp.
                                                                         --> Amp1
Battery --> CAP --> Distribution Block <
                                                                         --> Amp2
or
                                                         --> Amp1
Battery --> Distribution Block <
                                                         --> CAP --> Amp2
Hope that helped
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
ucantbeme 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot. Got it working and everything sounds great.
ucantbeme 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot. Got it working and everthing sound great.
ucantbeme 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot. Got it working and everything sounds great.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic