the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

good sq tweeter recommendations needed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
my current setup is a set of diamond audio HEX s600s components up front. the problem im having is i think my drivers side tweeter is about to go. it still sounds good for the most part but on certain notes if i listen carefully i can hear it distort where there was no distortion before, and its not the first set thats done this to me. so i figured id look around and see what the sound quality guys recommend.
im looking for a set of stand alone tweeters, im going to use the same crossover because its actually a really good crossover. my guess is that the high pass is crossed over at around 3000Hz so i will need a tweeter that can handle some upper frequency mids. the tweeters that i have are also 6 ohm each. i believe the power rating on the set was about 90w rms. the amp im running them off of is an older mtx thunder 302 that gives me about 90w at 4 ohms.
i really need some well built tweeters and silk is a must, i cant stand aluminum. and the music i listen to is mostly metal and hard rock with some occasional rap and acoustic rock mixed in and im starting to think that it might be my music choices that is leading to the destruction of my tweeters, both times i got about a year and a half to 2 years out of them which tells me that its probably nothing to do with over/under power.
so with all this in mind can anyone help me find a really nice set of tweets?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
There is more to a good crossover than the knee frequency, so check if it includes resisters to pad the tweets it is designed for.  You may or may not be able to just plug in other tweeters and get good results.  In any case, these sound pretty great.
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
Those are nice... How much do you want to spend? How much space can you dedicate to them, including depth?
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
cool, thanks for the replies. i had all but forgotten about SEAS and that price is great but im not sure they will wold up and they almost look exactly like what i have now. truthfully i was looking at the morel MT-23 tweeters for around $300 for a set. im not in love with that price but im willing to spend some money if i have to. as far as having some sort of tweeter protection in my crossovers im not sure but i dont think they do. they are older diamond crossovers. ill give you a pic of them and maybe you will be able to tell.
good sq tweeter recommendations needed -- posted image.
i know the new ones have a protection feature in them but i dont like them they just seem to be really cheaply made.
as far as size and what kind of space i have. my tweeters and mounted to the A pillars at about eye level so it would be hard for me to put something bigger than about 2" in diameter and depth isn't that big of a deal as long as they come with some sort of mounting brackets other than a flush mount. anything bigger that 2" and i will be fiberglassing something and i want to avoid that if possible.
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man, i am hoping to not come accros sounding like a snob, or ass on this, but i may sound that way anyway.  Those are crossovers are nice and that is what my point/ question is about.  I couldn't tell you the answer to your question about the protection on them, but i have personally alwais liked diamond.  my questionto you is: "In your install are those crossovers viewable?"  if so you may want to think about crimping on some spade terminals to the ends of the wires to and from the crossover.  it would add a bit of profesional detail to the install instead of just shoving the wires unter the screw terming connection.  I hope you get someone who can answer your question better than i can. 
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
afdanw wrote:
Hey man, i am hoping to not come accros sounding like a snob, or ass on this, but i may sound that way anyway.  Those are crossovers are nice and that is what my point/ question is about.  I couldn't tell you the answer to your question about the protection on them, but i have personally alwais liked diamond.  my questionto you is: "In your install are those crossovers viewable?"  if so you may want to think about crimping on some spade terminals to the ends of the wires to and from the crossover.  it would add a bit of profesional detail to the install instead of just shoving the wires unter the screw terming connection.  I hope you get someone who can answer your question better than i can. 
thats fine, i know it doesn't look that great and no they are not viewable. they are sitting in the hole where my airbag used to be and i made a cover for them so you cant see'em. the reason i DIDN'T use terminals is because 1. gold plated terminals are expensive, all but the most expensive terminals look cheesy and 2. there is no better connection than a direct connection. the only thing i could have done better was maybe to solder the wire onto the terminal. why do you think only the cheap amps now come with those type of terminals when almost all new amps come with direct screw terminals? even some crossovers and other audio stuff come like that now.
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity good stuff sir. 

If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
There is more to a good crossover than the knee frequency, so check if it includes resisters to pad the tweets it is designed for.  You may or may not be able to just plug in other tweeters and get good results.  In any case, these sound pretty great.
you know what, i think ill go with these. 10x cheaper than the morels and they actually do look really good and they seem like they should work but ill need to figure out how ill mount them
dred 
Copper - Posts: 158
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2010 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
dred wrote:
you need these the best ever http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-S20-High-Power-Component-Tweeter/dp/B003TTMHSM
you can't be serious? i hope you are just spamming and you really dont believe those are quality tweeters.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic