icon

my system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hellyhans 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
So here is my question, I don't know which HU to buy!
I need to know what would be a good setup with what I already own.
sd
Here are my details: No SPL.. more SQ
Music Metal/Rock
Car Subaru Forester SUV
AMPS
Old school ORION HCCA 225 @ 1ohm 400RMS
--Running 1X Alpine Type-R 10" DVC in .65ft Sealed box
Alpine 3550 25w RMS X4
--Running 4x 6.5" Alpine Type-S SPS-170A 2-way coaxial speakers
Now here is the deal.. NONE of these amps have an integrated xover... For my door speakers, I don't need crossovers since they are full range speakers..right?(coaxial 2-way) I'm confused about this.
Now I was looking at the Alpine CDA-117
It has a HPF (don't need since I'm running full range speakers) but no LPF. Does the Sub Preout RCA behind the HU have an integrated LPF?
I don't want to send High frequencies to my sub..
I know I won't be running an active setup that alot of people do these days with components up front etc for a center stage,but maybe someone here can maybe change the way my setup will be or recommend me something.
Thanks
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
the Alpine CDA-117 at first glance looks pretty good.  the 4v pre outs is nice.  as fare as your "full range," speakers go here is the deal.  Yes they are "full range," but they cannot reproduce low frequeencies well.  so to eliminate distortion it is still best to run that HPF on them.  According to page 43- and 44 of the owners manual for that deck, there is an adjustable HPF and LPF, but i do not know if the LPF is specifically attatched to the sub pre-out or not.  My assumption would be that it is, but assumptions are not worth very much.  I am also not very familiar with your 4-ch amp, but that deck has an 18w output.  by useing that 4 ch amp you will only gain 7 watts.  7 watts wont even be noticed.  most of the time you cannot hear a significant differance without doubleing your power. 
If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
hellyhans 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, well the CDA-117 has LPF integrated in the unit.. but if I want to benefit of the MultiEQ with full xover, I need the imprint unit add-on.
Which is described on page 35 of the manual.
The HU comes with HPF and Time correction built in.. but no LPF..
That's why I was wondering if the Sub Preout already cuts off high frequencies since its a "sub" out
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
yes it should LPF the sub output.ive never seen a dedicated sub out that wasn't low passed. now, whether it is adjustable or not? i dont know. it could just be set at a certain Hz between 80 hz and maybe 120hz. and another think to watch out for is if it's actually a shared rear/sub output and you have to choose which one you want. if thats the case you will need to split the front output to go to your 4 channel amp.
hellyhans 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
yes it should LPF the sub output.ive never seen a dedicated sub out that wasn't low passed. now, whether it is adjustable or not? i dont know. it could just be set at a certain Hz between 80 hz and maybe 120hz. and another think to watch out for is if it's actually a shared rear/sub output and you have to choose which one you want. if thats the case you will need to split the front output to go to your 4 channel amp.
Ok, well this HU has Front/Rear/Sub RCA outputs.
Now I'm wondering if I should ditch my 4x25w Old Alpine amp and buy a Alpine power pack which would give me 45x4.
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2010 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine power pack work pretty good actually. I use it in most cases that the customer wants power without an amp or extra wiring.
Plus its very simple to install.
I think this unit will; do great specially the time alignment. This will GREATLY enhance your front stage setup. Great choice overall.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic