icon

glue lined heat shrink butt crimp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
anewman 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2010 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have seen the crimping versus soldering debates, and I don't mean to start any arguments. However, on searching I find no mention of these. They're butt connectors which follow the same blue, red, yellow size scheme. You crimp them, and then heat them which shrinks the insulation and also melts some glue inside it which glues it to the wire. With a ratchet crimping tool I think they are miles easier to use than soldering (then again my soldering skill is practically zero, although I plan to buy a butane gas solderer and practice more). The main down side to these connectors is they're quite expensive in high street stores (at least the ones I have found in the UK), the cheapest place to get them is ebay and they're still not cheap.
I suppose anything beats the scotch locks I used on my first project though :D
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,787
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2010 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

Here is another variation.  These also have a low temp solder in the middle to help connect the wires.

http://www.cleevetech.com/documents/CTI_Catalogue_Sect_7.pdf   ThermaFix Solder Splice at bottom of Page 7-96

They are nice but very expensive.  About $1.25 per...

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2010 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
They were common when Cat 1 alarms started about early 90s but extremely expensive and you STILL IMO don't get as good (electronically and mechanically) a joint as soldering. In the UK RS Components, in the US Farnell (looking at their sites I think they are the same company).
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2010 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  
They were common when Cat 1 alarms started about early 90s but extremely expensive and you STILL IMO don't get as good (electronically and mechanically) a joint as soldering. In the UK RS Components, in the US Farnell (looking at their sites I think they are the same company).
Better off using things like heat shrink over the connector and spraying everything with a water retarder for anything under the hood, pin switches and especially the screws on the back of DEI sirens.
Incidentally you can also buy adhesive lined heat shrink but again expensive, on my own car I've used the spiral plastic sleeving, then taped it over. It lasts for years.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2010 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
Here or in the US any so called professional using Scotch locks (aka IDC) would be liable for instant dismissal. The other thing about the adhesive lined shrinkers is if you were joining a number think of the bulk on the loom.
Last for ever with neatness:
If you are making a Y joint rather than a butt connection, cut the original, bare the new wire about and inch back, solder together, heat shrink then butt the two remaining again solder and heat shrink, especially useful in DEI 1076 applications, I'm trying to show you a picture from a VW Polo with this.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic