icon

unlocking doors via cellphone.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the12voltuser 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2010 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Here's an interesting idea that I was hoping to implement, that is, to be able to unlock your car door via cell phone. I got this idea while looking over the new C3 technology that's becoming available, but the subscription service of it all is making me want to come up with a DIY way of accomplishing the same thing. Anyway...
I currently use instamapper.com to be able to track my car via GPS. For those not familiar you pretty much install a hidden boost mobile cell phone inside of your vehicle. The cell phone is hardwired to your car so that it's constantly charging. The instamapper program on the phone emits a GPS signal every minute so that you are able to track it live on their website. The only cost is the cost of keeping the boost mobile account alive, which is $10 every 3 months (you do NOT need the data plan).
With that said I was thinking of the possibility of being able to call the cell phone that's inside your car and that somehow sending a signal to the door unlock (let's say if you lock your keys in the car). I'm toying with the idea of maybe using the phone's speaker wire to send the signal. One problem which I see is if someone accidentally calls the number and your door opens unintentionally when the car is parked on the street (although the alarm should remain on and activate if the door is actually opened).
Well you guys are the experts, what do you think?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2010 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
Go for the Drone or the DEI Smart Start, they at least will work. This comes up every three months or so, some bright spark thinks no one else has thought of it. Hell I could get my (then) car phone to phone my land line when the car alarm was triggered back in the 80s.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2010 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
On second thoughts you could incorporate a bluetooth car kit, or even a wired car kit and use the muting output to drive the lock or unlock.
But it's a kludge, not very elegant.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2010 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
There is an active thread about someone using a converted bluetooth printer in his/her car. (Or is so intending...)
If they lock their keys out, they get a mate to send a file/pic to the printer from their phone which then unlocks the car.
Brilliant eh?
The printer battery recharges when the car is charging.
(The thread is on another site.)
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2010 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
Carry on Peter, I'm going to bed, it's 20 to 1:00am here.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2010 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you Howard.
I'm 2 hours behind you - plus 12 in front.
It's 11:10 AM here.
But I will be nicking off for lunch... soon ... get petrol, two front tyres, and food.
(It's great working for Howard. Flexible times, great pay, excellent mentoring. Yep - he might be my 1 in 20 million!)
Please land on the 3rd beep....
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
STILLL ahead of you, I'm waiting for 2 fronts and a rear!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 4:26 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry Boss - I just got back... (8:25 pm/20:25)
Uh, um... it was raining.
I might be late tomorrow - now I have to fit them...
BTW - Does bluetooth hurt more than a black eye? If it does, could eye have that instead?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
Bloody Scandinavian King wasn't he.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

When u two get to talking things are bound to get complicated. unlocking doors via cellphone. -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic