icon

polarity reversing with relays for 12vdc

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kpitao 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hope you can help me. I am building a project in which I require a low speed dc motor (12v) to have its polarity reversed every time the power is turned off, then on again...
on (clockwise) - off-on (counterclockwise)-off-on(clockwise) etc.
I don’t want to use a switch, just replays and run the 12v from the acc from my car.
thanks in advance!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
PM OLDSPARK or DUALSPORT They are the ones for this.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
How big is the load you are trying to switch? Once power is turned on do you want it to stay on until the power is turned back off or does it need to time out at some point? What is your budget?
What is it the motor will be doing?
Kevin Pierson
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

kpitao wrote:
I don’t want to use a switch, just relays and run the 12v from the acc from my car.

Assuming you don't want any relays to be energized to retain settings when the car is turned off, you'll need to use something more than just relays alone.  It could be done with a simple solid state circuit to act as a memory of the last state, and toggle states each time the power is switched on.  The circuit would be used to control the relays used for the polarity reversing, powering the motor.

As Kevin indicated, more details on how you want it to work would be helpful-  it sounds like you just want this motor to run for as long as the car is switched on, but if you need a specific run time and then turning off, it would make the circuit more complicated.

If you really want to use just relays, then you'd have to put up with energized relays while the car is off, which could drain your battery.  Or use specialized relays that can retain states, which aren't as readily available.

kpitao 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2010 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies!

1. Load is not big at all; around 4lbs.

2. That's right once power is turned on stays on until the power is turned back off.  No need to time out at any point?

3. I don't want drain my battery.... so you're saying that I should use Latching relay?

4. I can also use actuator instead motor.

Thanks

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: October 08, 2010 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Whats the load of motor (ie how many amps does it pull)?
Just to clarify - each time you turn the ignition on you want the motor to spin the opposite direction? And when the ignition is off you don't want the motor to do anything?
Kevin Pierson
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
Just FYI since your problem appears solved....
polarity reversing with relays for 12vdc -- posted image.
(from momentary to latched output).
kpitao 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

That does not help me at all.

Maybe I'm not explaining well.

Simple task (I think)

I'm using an actuator now, Firgelli L12 b 

While voltage is applied to the motor V+ and ground leads, the actuator extends. If the polarity of this voltage is reversed, the actuator retracts.

This is what I need:

When I turn my car on 12v is sent to the relays to provide 12v and ground to the correct lead of the actuator.

Now when I turn off my car the relays sends both 12v and ground to the inverted lead of the actuator.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Just look at 5 wire or relay interrupt locks in the relay section. You might want to add a timer, can't have the relays drawing juice when the engine's switched off.
Two relays and a timer circuit will do this. Just use the ignition circuit to trigger the relays and timer.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Ground terminal 85 of both relays.  Connect an ignition power source to terminal 86 of both relays.  Connect one motor lead to terminal 30 of relay A.  Connect the other motor lead to terminal 30 or relay B.  Relay A as follows, Power to terminal 87.  Ground to terminal 87A.  Relay B as follows.  ground to terminal 87A, power to terminal 87.  If the device works opposite of the way it needs to work, switch the 2 motor wires from relay A and B.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic