icon

headlights dimming , cap on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 4:52 AM / IP Logged  
Cool - I'll refer future Isuzu questions to you Haemo.
"I
suzu who?" asked the Hummer driver... (LOL)   
rscwboy - being an electo you should understand the same 2 basic principles - source voltage, and distribution drop.
The peak vs RMS - notice the 2:1 ratio - ie, √2 x √2 = 2; so that's a non-issue.
The dc cap is equivalent to a PLC (esp ferro-resonant).
But a battery to a cap is like rotating machine (ac alternator) to a PLC.
The car alternator is the ac power station. If it is undersized, sags & brownouts occur.
But if it is big enough, the load can still dip due to other nearby loads etc - hence the PLC etc - or in the dc case - a battery or cap.
Granted, vehicle audio does not have transmission length as an issue, but the V=IR dips still occur.
If it is (say) a 1,000W input amp, a 120A alternator will certainly cover that. Maybe too an 80A depending on volume and other loads.
It's not a big sound system.
I'd suspect the distribution - especially grounding.
The cap cannot charge to 14V on just a battery unless the battery has been overcharged or has amazing surface charge!
(Typical batteries charged at 14.4V almost instantaneously drop to ~13.8V and eventually to a fully charged voltage of between 12.8 & 12.6V. (The battery capacity above ~12.8 is "surface charge".)
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
^^ what he said ^^
As an electrician, (I was a SeaBee electrician in the Navy for six years, as well) you should understand that nothing you put on the INSIDE of your electrical panel (or in the case of your car, the fusebox) can make you get any more power out of the grid! (In the case of your car again, the alternator)
Address the power source.
rscwboy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
ok first, im a smartass by trade and at heart so not scaired away by others, like the fun.  second, im a pet monkey...meant to say that the cap stays on constantly. we cheated and the amp remote wire is on powered after you turn truck to start, doesnt even work in acc. checked with a load light and none of the fuses in the cab were switched off, all were constant??? not a "bestbuy" system so to say, similar idea though.  cap was used bc of the idea of a cap is to store energy until needed, during bass. seems to work for that process but its acting as though pulling straight from power system/alternator when it hits. the volts on the cap drop like they should but then it also dims the lights just as quickly. big 3 were not upgraded due to having no excuse on that one. wiring for the system is 2ga so well more than good enough. now just to figure out why the cap stays on. upgrading the alternator and moving it to the headlights or out of the truck entirely may be the next option. thanks for the help if there is any more.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah - Haemo likes to stir - especially when it comes to caps....
As H said, more power out of the grid....
Problem with cars is that they have two "grids" - it is normally the alternator, but is the battery when the alternator falls short such as big audio surges, lamp & motor surges - and of course with big steady-state loads & when off. (The "normal" grid and "absolute zero" for my amp is the battery since it is only used in anger at camping spots with loud annoyances. A few minutes of directed Dystopia or DRI... otherwise a bit of BF's "Slip It In" LOL!)
Not that your system is that big.... but the dips suggest total load during "peaks" exceeds alternator output.
The other dc issue is the IR transmission drop. If the distribution cable is shared....
Yes - I am paraphrasing my last reply. Sorry.
I don't think anyone argues that caps don't work - that's demonstrable empirically - but a giga-Watt alternator and zero impedance battery in the engine bay will NOT prevent a dip at the boot mounted amp.   
My & others argument is that a (small & cheaper) battery is more effective than a cap - but that's a preventative & rip-off thing. If you already have it, may as well use it to remove or minimise surges & sags. (Until it blows & pulls down the system!)
Otherwise the cap problem is where people think it is some magical booster of power or power store.
They aren't. A cap is simply a FILTER - across a voltage source, it simply smooths out the ripple. It cuts the peaks & fill the dips - but only for a short time. (A battery does similar - it is often modeled as a big cap or infinite cap.)
The misunderstanding comes from the less educated coupled with selectively worded marketing.
I'd expect the cap to stay since they are connected across the amp supply which is normally connected. Very few switch the amp power externally (except if a 2nd battery and battery isolator are used, but then the 2nd battery powers the cap etc).
As to the amp staying on, I'll leave that for the amp gurus.
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2010 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

rscwboy wrote:
A friend just bought a new truck; its a 2008 chevy silverado crew cab. Of course all new toys need more base and so weve installed a small system that sounds good; but somehow are still running into the general problem of his headlights dimming. The system is extremely basic and simple: 2ea Kicker CVT 12s, Power Acoustik BAMF 1800/2, 5 farad PA CAP in an aftermarket box fitted for the truck. I have done basic car audio before and am an electrican by trade, so figured it would be easy but am now baffeled and need assitance. Speakers are 400w RMS & 800w peak, so the amp is more than enough for them. Wiring was kept seperate, 1 speaker per channel, and the cap is mounted right in front of amp so wires are as short as possible. The base control knob that came with the amp doesnt seem to work so we just took it out of the system. And the third problem is the that the amp stays on constantly. After we shut the truck off, it will recharge back to around 14v but it stays lit up and we assume that its drainging off the battery. Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated.

You didn't mention if you changed out the head-unit or not. If not, then where did you tag your remote wire? The best place I usually go for an accessory tag is the ignition under the steering column. Make sure you fuse it.

And as many people have already said, a capacitor is not the answer to dimming headlights. The only way to fix dimming headlights is to upgrade the charging system. A new battery will help quite a bit, but the biggest help is going to come from upgrading your Big 3. You can do a search for "Big 3 upgrade" on here. Not only does it help your system, it helps the electrical in the rest of the car.

Good luck.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
Yet again - unless the dip is in the transmission/distribution.
Over & Out!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic