icon

voltage trigger

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdugan4859 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Right now the DRL and the high beam are the same bulb. When in DRL mode, the bulb get like 3 volts. When the headlights are on, the bulb goes off unless you hit the high beams, then they get 12+ volts.
I am looking at getting a set of headlights with an LED in them, sorta like the Audi, and would like to use those for the DRL.
What I need is a way to power the LED when in DRL mode, and have the bulb off, and be able to use the high beam without the LED's coming on. I would think a tR7 would be the route to go, but am not sure.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
When you put the High beams on, do the low beam lamps remain lit?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
Why don't you just power them with an ignition source? Is there ever a time your drls or head lights won't be on?
Kevin Pierson
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
Power your LEDs from your switched ignition power source, with the returns connected to the high beam filaments. The resistance of the high beams will be able to act as a virtual ground because of the low draw of the LEDs.
When your high beams come on, the LEDs will turn off.
If you need to turn the LEDs off whenever either your low beams or high beams are on, then just use a relay with the coil connections between the high and low beam, and the LEDs powered through the normally closed contacts. Whenever either of your lights are on, the relay will be energized, turning the LEDs off. Use a standard unpolarized relay so it can be energized in either direction.
jdugan4859 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2010 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
dualsport wrote:
Power your LEDs from your switched ignition power source, with the returns connected to the high beam filaments. The resistance of the high beams will be able to act as a virtual ground because of the low draw of the LEDs.
When your high beams come on, the LEDs will turn off.
If you need to turn the LEDs off whenever either your low beams or high beams are on, then just use a relay with the coil connections between the high and low beam, and the LEDs powered through the normally closed contacts. Whenever either of your lights are on, the relay will be energized, turning the LEDs off. Use a standard unpolarized relay so it can be energized in either direction.
I think I understand, but can you draw a diagram?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic