icon

multiple speaker wiring options

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pisddub 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
I have a total of 8 sets of Polk db 6 1/2" 4 ohm speakers that's 16 speakers all together my current setup is for the use of 6 sets I'm trying to achieve a 4 ohm load by using either my current 6 sets or all 8 sets how can I get these 12 or 16 4 ohm svc woofers to 4 ohms thank you
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

Parallel 4 speakes to achieve a 1 ohm load per set.  Do this for the remaining sets of 4.  Then wire each of the 4 speaker sets in series to achieve a 4 ohm load.

afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
multiple speaker wiring options -- posted image.
i am an idiot wrote:

Parallel 4 speakes to achieve a 1 ohm load per set.  Do this for the remaining sets of 4.  Then wire each of the 4 speaker sets in series to achieve a 4 ohm load.

should look something like this.

If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
can i ask why?  Why would you want to have 16, full range speakers, on one channel of an amplifier.  Maybe i am assuneing too much, but i would guess you are trying to bridge a single 2 ch amp into 4 ohm on this.  You are talking about a potentially a very big amp needed to do this.  Even if you wanted only 50 watts per speaker, you would need a 800watt amp.  that is the only way i can see you getting enough power out of any amp to correctly push all 16 of those speakers on one channel.  What kind of amp is being put on this?
If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
pisddub 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys I've been racking my brain on this for a day or two now and my amp will either be a ppi a1200 or soundstream reference 10.0 I'm leaning on using the ppi since all my other amps are arts and I also have a couple of 3sixty.2's as processors
pisddub 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
FYI you guys are awesome thanks again

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic