icon

3 jl w6

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pitoaudiovisual 
Copper - Posts: 388
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

I have 3 JL audio W6's and was wondering what is the most watts i could connect to them without blowing them. I have them set up to 4 ohms right now but was thinking about going lower so just wanted to kno what is the most wattage these speakers can take. i kno it says 600 so does that mean i can get a 1800 watt amp and wont blow them. Thank you in advance.

Confidence is the key to any project!!
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

How do u have 3 speaker wired to 4 ohm?

3 jl w6 -- posted image.

Green (Minimum):
From a reliability standpoint, this zone represents a very comfortable operating power range for each driver. This level of power will not stress the woofer but will not extract all of its performance potential, either.
Use of less than the minimum power level will not damage the woofer, but may result in unsatisfactory performance.
Yellow (Optimum):
This zone represents the best compromise between long-term reliability, high-output and low-
distortion performance. This power level is lower than the woofer's continuous power rating(as published in its specifications), but you will still be taking advantage of the woofer's, low-distortion performance range without undue risk of failure.
Red (Danger Zone):
Slightly more SPL will be gained by pushing the power intothis zone, but typically not more than 2dB, compared to the yellow zone. The subwoofer driver is designed to operate safely up to this power range, but not beyond. Operate with caution.
Black (Warranty Void):
We do not recommend operating woofers at this level of power. In this zone, there is a very high probability that the driver will fail due to excessive heat and/or mechanical stress.
Subwoofer drivers operated at these levels of power are NOT covered under warranty.

If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
pitoaudiovisual 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
3 jl w6 -- posted image.
pitoaudiovisual 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
i might be wrong tho i think they are 4 ohm dual and i thought they were 6 dual
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
a dual 6 ohm subwoofer is pretty rare. if im not mistaken the w6 is a dual 4 ohm sub i dont even think they come in dual 2 ohm. the 13w7 is dual 1.5.
ocguy106 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
They are called w6 because they are in fact 6ohms so he is correct in the wireing provided
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

ocguy106 wrote:
They are called w6 because they are in fact 6ohms so he is correct in the wireing provided

i am fairly certain that is not why they r called W6.  if that were the case then why is a W7 called that, is it 7 ohm?  NO.  A  W0, W1,W3.  Is a W0 0 ohm?  Seriously, a W6 may be 6 ohm, but i doubt that is the reason for the name. 

If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
ocguy106 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
originaly when thes came out that is why they were called that a 12w6v2 was a 12'' woofer at 6ohm with 2 voice coils. since then they came out with may others as you have pointed out and have not stuck sith this naming convention.
ocguy106 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
This is what you have right now. The W6's are dual 4 ohm.
3 jl w6 -- posted image.
I would go with an amp that is capable of no more than 1200 Watts RMS at 2 ohms.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic