icon

which speakers to go with?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
samuelsteven 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
I have a lincoln LS and the subwoofer is a single JL Audio 13W7 in a ported enclosure. My question is, what should I go with as far as door and dash speakers? From what I have researched, the LS has a 6 speaker system from the factory, and they are all 6x8s. Each door has a 6x8 and theres 2 more in the rear deck. Should I replace all 6 speakers or just the doors and do away with the rear dash speakers? I know I can get adapters for 6.5s or whatever. What would be the best bet? I want pure sound quality, you know..as if the artist is actually sitting next to me..LOL.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
The "rear dash speakers" are the factory 6X9 subwoofers.  The 5X7's in the doors are actually 2-way components if you have the THX or the premium sound system, or they are standard Ford full-ranges if you have the standard system.  In either case, any decent 5X7 will work, although if you have the THX system I recommend not altering them unless you also replace the factory head unit .
Support the12volt.com
samuelsteven 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
I think I have the THX system, It came with factory Navigation and it says THX when the car starts. As for the head unit, Im putting in my Kenwood DNX-9960, the only thing I dont like about that unit is I can't adjust the guidence volume and its loud as hell..Will I have any problems with an ignition switch wire for the stereo power?
DYohn, with the DNX9960 and the 13w7 with 1000/1, what is your opinion on the speakers? Sould I just use the 4 door speakers and do away with the rears completely? also i read on another post that the whole section comes out of the back dash..
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Like I said, the rear deck speakers are subwoofers, so if you are adding an aftermarket sub then you should not also use the OEM subs.  Yes, the entire rear tray is removable and it contains the speakers and the amp.  Install the best quality speakers you can in the front doors.  realize if you are replacing the factory head unit you will lose the nav and the THX certified system... if that is important to you.  Infinity Kappa 5X7's fit into the doors perfectly.
Support the12volt.com
samuelsteven 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
I was referring to possibly replacing the rear subs with other 6x9s for mids not keep the subs, but I should just do away with them? So just 4 infinity Kappas in the doors will be good enough? Which model do u recommend?
samuelsteven 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn, what do you think about Infinity Kappa 62.9i? I have a friend that has 2 sets brand new that I can get for $120. I know Id have to fabricate some mounts for them to fit the doors, but whats your opinion?
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

samuelsteven wrote:
I think I have the THX system, It came with factory Navigation and it says THX when the car starts. As for the head unit, Im putting in my Kenwood DNX-9960, the only thing I dont like about that unit is I can't adjust the guidence volume and its loud as hell..Will I have any problems with an ignition switch wire for the stereo power?
DYohn, with the DNX9960 and the 13w7 with 1000/1, what is your opinion on the speakers? Sould I just use the 4 door speakers and do away with the rears completely? also i read on another post that the whole section comes out of the back dash..

You should be able to adjust the guidance volume. It's Garmin navigation in that unit. So you'll actually adjust the guidance volume through the "tools" or "settings" section of the Garmin side.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

samuelsteven wrote:
DYohn, what do you think about Infinity Kappa 62.9i? I have a friend that has 2 sets brand new that I can get for $120. I know Id have to fabricate some mounts for them to fit the doors, but whats your opinion?

I personally would not recommend Kappas unless you are going to amp them. They are 2ohm speakers. Infinity says that they are 4ohm 'capable', but they are 2ohm speakers and you'll likely burn out your head-unit's internal amplifier so you'd be better off running them off of an external amp.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
samuelsteven 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
I've tried adjusting the guidance volume through the tools settings inside of the Garmin software..theres no option.. As for the infinitys, I would'nt run them off of the head unit, They are 225 watt speakers, I'm running them with a JL Audio 300/4.
DYohn 
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

samuelsteven wrote:

There's no way you could get 6X9's in those doors without significant door panel modification, or unless you decide you don't want to be able to roll the windows down.  As far as using the subwoofer mounting locations for other speakers, that's a waste, especially if you want an SQ oriented system.  Upgrade the front doors, disable the OEM subs if you are using an aftermarket sub.

Of course if you have the THX system you already HAD one of the best SQ-oriented systems possible in that car, but I am biased.  :)

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic