icon

Speaker Wire for Home Electrical?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2010 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

Just curious on what everybody thinks about using stranded speaker wire for home electrical applications.  For instance, putting lights on the back porch....would the stranded car audio speaker wire have drawbacks against solid core home wire.  Wattage on the lights would be around 100W-150W.  can't see weather being an inhibitor as cars deal with the same if not more severe elements.  Ground would be a solid core wire but the other two wires would be stranded 12-16 ga. rockford speaker wire.  Thanks for your opinions...Howie, idiot, haemphyst, kind of want to know what you guys think, but of course, anybody's opinions are welcome! 

Thanks       

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2010 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
I'm curious about the answers that you'll get to this. I know that we use stranded wire in car audio because vibrations can cause a solid core to break, but I don't know about the reverse application.
MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2010 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
Stranded wire should be left for lamp cords.
It is going to be application specific but in short; if you are installing something that needs to be hard wired, it should be wired with solid 14ga or 12ga wire.
Now I've purchased different under cabinet lighting for example that comes with stranded 16 or 18 gauge wire (again "lamp cord") that you plug into the wall. These don't use a ground wire so its just 2 conductor wire. Also that wire is not rated for in-wall use.
I am guessing that you already have an abundance of speaker wire and that is why you are asking the question. If you want to know for your particular application if it would be acceptable, then some more details would help.
As always, check your local electrical codes for specifics.
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2010 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Yup that's pretty much why....i think most installers have an abundace of wire!  What i'm thinking to do is use the speaker wire to run two set of lights off the back porch, to light the backyard.  Each set has two lights on it and can be adjusted to set the desired lighting arrangement.  As it stands right now there is a porch light back there but the light on that is ridiculous, so i'm thinking of tapping into the power there and run the new lights off the same wire(same switch).  The lights themselves are 150W but am thinking of dropping that to 75W or 100W.
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
I assume you are NOT talking about mains/AC wiring!!(?)
(Never use non-approved cable & fittings for (domestic) AC systems.
And if not also illegal, that is also recommended in reverse - do not use (domestic mains) AC cable for DC and signaling.)
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 13, 2010 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
Peter I think that they are asking about that.  I know wire has increased in price a good bit lately, spend the money on some wire today, or spend some money to rebuild your house tomorrow.  I am sure this would be a violation of dozens of safety codes, and a BAD idea. 
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2010 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
People often find out such breaches when their insurance company (rightfully) refuses to pay anything despite complete loss of house and contents.
The mains/wall wiring approval should be easy to accept or understand.
The opposite may not be obvious - eg, using mains/AC/wall wires or sockets for DC car & trailer connections, or intercoms, etc - it took me a while to understand, and that was before dc-ac inverters became common!
DO NOT mix cable types unless you are certain of the electrical impacts and any Regulatory issues.   
....I am using (heavy) fig-8 speaker cable for my relay-switched car headlights..... (Temporarily of course!!)
vader7071 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
I am an electrical contractor, I hold degrees in Electrical Technology and Industrial Electronics, and am currently working on my Electrical Engineering degree. The short answer to this question is "DON'T DO IT!" The reason, automotive speaker wire is not approved by the National Electrical Code (aka NEC) for ANY household load application.
Now, the long answers, Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? No (See NEC). Issues IF it is done? Most speaker wire is 16 ga or smaller. House wiring is 14 ga or larger (most times 12 ga is the smallest used). This is due to the current loads of the devices they connect. If you use a wire too small for the load, you run the risk of starting a fire, and if/when an investigation is done for the cause and they find speaker wire, the insurance company will not pay due to unapproved electrical installation.
So, while I have used a short piece of speaker wire to do a quick test or power something for a EXTREMELY short period, I DO NOT leave it. For safety reasons, use house wire for house and car wire for car.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
building codes aside, stranded wire is most commonly used because of its flexibility compared to its equivalent solid core wire. that's why it is used mostly in cars because of the tight quarters it needs to be applied to. if flexibility isnt an issue, use solid wire. electronically, there really is no difference as long as you use the appropriate gauge wire for the length of the run from the source. and stranded wire has a tendency to heat up easier than the same gauge solid wire so if you are powering something that is going to be on a lot you might consider buying some solid core wire just for that reason.
stevenje98 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it will work. But do not do this. It's not approved by the code (NEC) and your local building code inspector.
yeah, Im an electrican seen that done before. the outcome was not good for the owner of the home owner.
I'll cover all the bases here in one step.
Reason 1. The insulation rating of the speaker cable wiring is way different than romax. In short the speaker cable will burn fast if it’s over loaded. If there is a surge on the line or load side of the power you might have a fire. If your thinking of conduit emt metal or schedule 40 or 80 samething will happen. Last but not least speaker wire underground for power, the insulation will rot in or outside a conduit. then you will get jolted yourself from transit voltage walking by.
Use 14ga or 12ga romax. Outside lights should be wired to a ground fault protection circuit. ( GFCI )
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic