icon

smart start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jjursch 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
I have got a question about the DSM200 Smart Start.  In all the DEI documents they interchnage 3G and GSM as if they are the same thing.  What I want to know is will the DSM200 work on a AT&T's 2G Edge network? It is GSM, but not 3G.  If they are using GPRS I can not see why it would not work. 
deltadmx 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
While I cannot say for sure if it will or will not work, it may have to do with the speed of the transfer. Since 3g sends data much faster the connection may time out over 2g if the command is not executed in a certain amount of time. As I said, not sure but I would imagine this is a contributing factor to constantly advertising it with 3g.
dodgeram10 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

Where i live there is no 3g just 2g edge . My smartstart works fine . There is a slight lag of about 2-3 seconds once a command is sent before the vehicle recieves it but that could be due to the crappy coverage i get here .

I would however advise against purchasing one online due to the fact that they need to be activated by a authorized dei dealer .

Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
They have a customer support number that can activate it as well.
xxunknownxx 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
dodgeram10 wrote:

Where i live there is no 3g just 2g edge . My smartstart works fine . There is a slight lag of about 2-3 seconds once a command is sent before the vehicle recieves it but that could be due to the crappy coverage i get here .

I would however advise against purchasing one online due to the fact that they need to be activated by a authorized dei dealer .

Don't worry. I get the same lag on my 3g Iphone with full bars. I don't even use smartstart anymore. It takes too long.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Itr will work but 3/3.5G are faster. GPRS is something else again, salbeit related. More important is good antenna siting.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
It will work but 3/3.5G are faster. GPRS is something else again, albeit related. More important is good antenna siting.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
I think you can install the app onto your phone even without having the product in your car, at least as a demo.
I'd try installing the app first...I would imagine that if your phone accepts it, it should work.
hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
I believe 2G is minimum requirement.
MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic