icon

receiver connection 2007 tahoe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
onethumbcustom 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

First allow me to say thanks to those that put this site together. I've found an incredible wealth of information here. Most of which will be put to use in the not so distant future. Unfortunately, I haven't found one answer I'm really looking for.

I  just got a "new to me" 2007 Tahoe. I'd like to do an install unlike anything I've done with other vehicles I've had, and figured the best place to start would be at which receiver I'd like to build from. While looking around to find one I liked...I've hit a small road block.

Some places I've looked at have said that when the H.U. is changed out a special adapter is needed for hook up as some functions are lost. Door chimes and Onstar, most notably. I'm not really concerned with the loss of either of those because door chimes I can live without and Onstar I don't use.
My question.....               

Is the additional adapter absolutely necessary?

Regards,

Brian

icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
07 Tahoe.
Well, no i guess its NOT necessary.
however it'll make your life easier if you use this "special" harness.
One of the advantages is that it allows you to use the factory BOSE amplifier. Also this harness provides the +12v switch that all aftermarket radios will need.
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

You will need to grab accessory from somewhere else. Probably the steering column.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
It's not Absolutely necessary but could help keep your vehicle intact if failure occured.  Also, it makes installation easier.  Let me break it down why I am for the "special harness".   I had an 03 Caddy CTS.  Bought the special harness from crutchfield for about $150.  OUCH!   With the aftermarket radio in and the expensive harness doing it's thing, the oil pressure light came on one day and ding ding was played through the speakers which in turn causes the driver to look at the gauge cluster and see the light.  Some research was done and fixed the situation.  The light went away.  Let's say one used the not so special harness and found accessory power somewhere else to turn on the new radio.  If there is a problem and you never notice the light on the cluster, you may drive around with a gremilin under the hood.  Think about it this way too.  If anyone else drives your car(wife,girlfriend), would they notice a just a light on the dash or would you have to interrupt there tunes with the ding ding to get their attention? 
Advanced
mrm1776 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with dasbogie. I'd rather use the module. I've had problems with both the Axxess module we carry as well as the Scosche module. The problems don't happen near as frequently if you use a relay for a high-output accessory. So make sure you do that. The Scosche module comes with one already.

I've also run into problems with using the GMOS modules with an immobilizer bypass (XK01 for example). These immobilizers bypasses are used for remote starts as well as door lock controls. I don't know if this is a universal problem or only a conflict between the GMOS and XK. Someone else might be able to elaborate more on that.

Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
onethumbcustom 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you all for the fast replies. I posted this same question elsewhere about a week ago, and as of yet, still haven't gotten a response.

My figuring (warped as it can be sometimes) was that the additional adapter wasn't really going to be necessary for the reasons I stated in my initial post. The thing that made me wonder about it, as dasbogie mentioned, is the price. I thought it was pretty sad that the adapter was almost as much as the deck I am thinking about getting. I understand that I would have to get the +12V switched power from somewhere else if I went without. Additionally, I can understand how the "bells and whistles" may be needed if someone else were to drive my vehicle.

Thanks again for the fast replies as all your input is greatly appreciated. As it is, I'll bite the bullet and get the additional adapter.

Regards,

Brian 

mrm1776 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
What deck are you looking at that is around $150? While there are some good decks out there for that price, if you're building a system around it you probably want to spend a little more. Go with a deck that's got 3 sets of pre-outs. And make sure those pre-outs are at least 4V pre-outs. Typically, for a good DIN deck with 3 sets of pre-outs you'll be spending at least $250-$300.
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
onethumbcustom 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
I've had a couple Sony units in the past, and have liked them (and their functions) enough that it's a brand I usually look at first. While doing my searching I found a DIN Sony that I can get for $192. One thing I looked for was the number of pre-out sets it had. This model has 3 sets--4-volt--front, rear, and subwoofer.  
mrm1776 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
That's cool, man. If Sony is a brand that you like and it works for you, then go for it. I personally wouldn't own a Sony. I like their home audio products, but have never been a fan of their car audio products. I see them come back way too often because they just "stopped working".
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
onethumbcustom 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  

Well...maybe their quality has changed in the past number of years. It has been about eight years or so since I bought anything of theirs that was mobile audio related. I also have some of their home audio gear that's got plenty of years of use.

Maybe I need to consider a couple different brands? 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic