icon

engine noise coming through speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
If you performed the test at the top of the page and found that the shield of the RCA jack did not show continuity to the chassis of the radio, then yes it will get rid of your noise.  You really only need to do one of the cables.  If you do not have a meter, ground a wire to the chassis of the radio or to the radio's ground wire, then touch and hold the other end of that wire to the shield of the patch cord to see if it makes a pop then the noise goes away.  If it does, then solder the wire as shown.
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

jkats91 wrote:
awesome, the popping noise is coming through the tweeters, it does not go through the door speakers. can i take a wire connect it to the outer shield of the RCA and the the other end twist it and connect it to ground on the amplifier?

You mentioned that the popping noise is coming from the tweeters. Did you make sure that you have a good connection on your crossovers? Popping through the tweeters is commonly caused by the connections on the crossover not being tight.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
jkats91 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2010 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
yes all connections on the crossovers are tight, i even re did them just to make sure and it didn't eliminate anything :(
jkats91 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2010 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot- i did exactly as the webpage that you posted said, and it did not get rid of anything, noise is still coming through all speakers, do you have any other suggestions?
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 30, 2010 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  
Have you tried turning the amplifier's gain adjustment all the way down?
jkats91 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2010 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
noise started to go away when the gain was turned down, but in the end this doesn't solve any problems does it? because gain should be set at a comfortable setting throughout the car. if the gain is down, in order to eliminate the clicking/popping noise then, problem still exists. on an amplifier is there supposed to be 4 or 8 gauge ground wire/power wire?
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

jkats91 wrote:
noise started to go away when the gain was turned down, but in the end this doesn't solve any problems does it? because gain should be set at a comfortable setting throughout the car. if the gain is down, in order to eliminate the clicking/popping noise then, problem still exists. on an amplifier is there supposed to be 4 or 8 gauge ground wire/power wire?

It will change per amplifier. It depends on how big the inputs are for the amplifier honestly. If it accepts a 4 gauge, then use a 4-gauge if you have it readily available. You can never go wrong having a bigger ground than the power, but never have a smaller ground than the power. It needs to be equal or bigger.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
Turn the gain down to the point in which you can no longer hear the noise.  Turn the radio volum up, can you still reach your desired listening level? 
jkats91 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
gained was turned down and the clicking/popping noise went away, but it is still there at a very low volume, so this problem can only be resolved by reworking the ground in the car? do you recommend i have 4 gauge ground cable at the battery terminal to match the 4 gauge ground at the amplifier? i also have another mono-block amplifier in the car that's connected to a subwoofer.
jkats91 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
Would having a cheap amp kit contribute to having popping noise through speakers?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic