icon

wavy lines on lcd bad power supply?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robyn 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2010 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hi y'all! I need some electronics advice for my in-dash LCD install of a TM-868 8" touchscreen VGA monitor.
First of all, the LCD works great, good video and touchscreen ability. But I can easily notice wavy lines slowly scrolling across the screen over and above the image on the monitor.
I've narrowed it down (I think) to the power supply... originally, I was powering it off the +12v rail of my PC's power supply (ATX 300w power supply using a 700w inverter). Then I moved over to a 160w M2-ATX and again used the +12v rail, but still have wavy lines. I tried using a DC-DC regulator with 12v output (and about 1.5a, more than enough for the TM-868 LCD), but again I still have wavy lines.
Originally, the TM-868 comes with a 12v AC-DC wall adapter, and it is rated at 1 amp. When I use this wall adapter in the car with the inverter, the LCD is fine, no wavy lines.
What does this mean? I dabble a little in electronics and can read basic schematics, and I usually see a capacitor or something bridging the +Pos and -Gnd lines, I'm guessing this is able to "clean" the power and make it more stable.
How can I modify my DC-DC supply so that I don't have wavy lines on the LCD? Using an inverter works for now, but is far from ideal or efficient, plus then I have to manually plug in the LCD when I want to use the CarPC. Can anyone advise on adding a capacitor of some kind to fix this?
Again, I don't know enough to start experimenting myself, but if someone can provide some guidance, I have the tools and parts to make it work (I think!)...
Thanks,
Warren
robyn 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2010 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
Anybody have some input on this?
Basically, I'm wondering how best to "clean" the power supply to prevent the wavy lines... And I'm not wanting to experiment on my own too much yet!
roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2010 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
Ground? Is your ground connected to clean nonpainted metal? Power wire, what is the length and size? What are these wires connected to?
Chadillac

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic