icon

10 nissan frontier avital 4103, r defrost

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rickny 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2010 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone.. I had an Avital 4103 installed in my vehicle about 10 months ago. The installer did not hook up the rear defroster output. I previously requested a vehicle wiring diagram for the vehicle, and understand the Blue/White wire from the Avital needs to be connected to the Yellow wire on the 40-pin harness of the BCM (Pin 9). I performed that today.
What I then did was used the program button to access menu item 2-8 on the Avital. I set it to 'Pulsed'.   I verified that the rear defrost feature was on by pressing the Lock, *, and Trunk buttons on the remote. The vehicle responded with 3 flashes.
When I remote start the vehicle, the rear defroster doesn't come on 10 seconds after starting. I had seen mention in some other threads that this may be somewhat dependent upon the radio being able to be turned on during remote starting, which it is.
Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I think I programmed Menu 2, Item 8 accordingly.. I accessed Menu 2, verified by 2 flashes.. Then hit the program button 8 times, and then held it down during programming. I then used the unlock button to choose option 3 (Pulsed) - the LED responded by flashing 3 times. I then released the program button and manually started the vehicle.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rick
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Did you verify the wire using a dmm ?   Are you sure the rear defrost isn't coming on ? not all cars will light the rear defrost light in the dash
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2010 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
What are you using for a bypass module? I remember a couple of years ago there was an ADS module that didn't allow the defroster to come on.
Also, as chev says, the best way will be to test the actual wire in the car during remote start.
From what I remember, I'm almost positive that on Nissans with that style BCM, the defroster light won't come on.
rickny 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
chev104275 wrote:
Did you verify the wire using a dmm ?   Are you sure the rear defrost isn't coming on ? not all cars will light the rear defrost light in the dash
I guess I should really try that.. The thing is, when the car is remote started while Im inside, 10 seconds later, the parking lights come on and that is when the rear defroster should come on.. If I manually hit the button, its light does come on.
I was looking at the Nissan service manual.. That pin shows that it should read +5V when the rear window defroster switch if OFF and 0V when the switch is ON. I dont know how that affects anything, but I should check it with a DMM when I remote start.. Its dark now.. Ill try again tomorrow.
Im just not sure if it should be latched or pulsed.. If anyone had a full DirectWire 2.0 PDF on the vehicle, it would be greatly appreciated.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  
Directwire gives us what you already know, white 40 way connector, pin 9 yellow wire, neg switching.
Have you tried grounding this (through a DMM) to see if it works? Test at a terminal on the back glass. This will also tell you if you need to latch or pulse it.
Of course there's the tried and trusted old school method with a relay: Find the wire that goes "hot" when you activate the rear defog, trace it back to either kick well or BCM, cut it, then wire as follows. Your Avital output wire, set it timed for 10 minutes, wire it to 85, 86 and 87 12V+ constant fused 25 amps, 87a, cut side to BCM, 30 cut side to window.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged  
Bluntly, read the my by-line at the bottom, I'm guessing as Chev and Chris have already pointed out more diplomatically than I ever will,
don't assume, test !
rickny 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Alright.. This is what I found out..
The module is an Xpresskit DLPK.. I went to the install guide for that and it doesn't have Defrost checked off as being available with that module..
I did check several spots with a DMM.. Pin 9 yellow wire on the BCM shows battery voltage when the car is on. Pressing the defrost button drops it to 0v for 1 second and then back to battery voltage. I checked on the rear defroster, and when the switch is pushed, it shows battery voltage. What I dont see on that yellow wire is any change in status 10 seconds after the car starts remotely. Just constant 12V. (Should I assume that if the module worked, I should be using 'Pulse', and I should see it drop to 0V as if I hit the button manually?
It sounds to me like if I want this to work, I may have to go with Howie's 'tried and true' method of using a relay... Fortunately for me, the defrost function is not critical -- it is a pickup truck.   The rear window clears very quickly, if it gets frosted at all. I may just not bother.. This was my 'Saturday, nothing to do project'.
Thanks,
Rick
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
So it only needs to be pulsed. set an aux up for pulsed and try it 10secs after you fire up the R/S. See if that R/S goes to ground.
mpe235 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2010 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

Just finished a 2010 frontier remote start. The rear defrost works fine with a pulsed output from the remote start. It takes about 10 seconds after the parking lights come on. The button lights up when it comes on.  Remote start used was a Valet 561R.

Nissan Master Tech.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic