icon

amp to power two type rs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cadillacskates 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2010 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have just aquired 2 10" Alpin Type R subs (Dual, two ohm voice coils) and am looking to install them in seperate sealed boxs in my '01 Eclipse Spyder. They are rated for 50-500 watt RMS. And am not sure what kind of amp is best for this setup. Any specific suggestions would be appreciated.
zachy_je 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2010 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not an expert, but I do have some knowledge of matching up subs and amps. Your system, if wired in series/parallel (option 2), will need a 2 ohm stable amplifier. They also RMS at 500 watts each, which will require at least a 1,000 watt amplifier. According to Crutchfield, the Alpine MRP-M1000 would fit your needs nicely. Another option, if you don't mind mixing brands, is the Kicker ZX1000.1. I hope this helps!
Zach
PS - Experts: please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (but I'm pretty confident in my answer).
cadillacskates 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2010 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
i checked out these amps and im not really sure if im understanding. On the Alpine, it says 1000 watt RMS @ 2 ohms. So that would mean that I'd have to split the power betweent the two subs. I understand the math but would it be better to use a two channel setup?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 11, 2010 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

1000 / 2 = 500.  Isn't that the max power of the speakers?

zachy_je 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2010 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
@Caddy - The max RMS of your subs is 500W, but you have 2 of them so you need a 1,000W amp. If your subs are wired to a 2 ohm load, the amplifiers that I listed are 1,000W and 2 ohm stable. They should work just fine for your system.
cadillacskates 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks for the help guys
mcintosh-asylum 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
kicker isnt really good for raw bass if thats what your going for. if you want that then try a soundstream they make good raw bass amps for not alot of money. and dont put them to their full power right off the bat. you need to let the coils temper and break in before you beat them. because you can blow the coil quicker if you dont. so try something along the lines of a 500 to 750 moono block amp for strating them off.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
mcintosh-asylum wrote:
kicker isnt really good for raw bass if thats what your going for. if you want that then try a soundstream they make good raw bass amps for not alot of money.
This, I agree with. Kicker is craptastic gear anymore... For ANY purpose. If you're gonna go with Kicker, might as well go all the way and buy into the capacitor scene as well. (That's a joke, in case you missed it...) Go with the Alpine. Better amp, and probably less money.
mcintosh-asylum wrote:
and dont put them to their full power right off the bat. you need to let the coils temper and break in before you beat them. because you can blow the coil quicker if you dont. so try something along the lines of a 500 to 750 moono block amp for strating them off.
False information flag!!! A coil is rated 500 watts from the day it rolls off the assembly line. There is no "tempering" of a voicecoil. There MIGHT be some minimal mechanical loosening, but it will be minimal. Otherwise, WFO from the get-go, baby!
I do agree that until you know what the woofer/enclosure alignment is, and how well you constructed your enclosure, THIS is why you need to slowly ramp up your amplifier's power output, but NOT because there is any voicecoil "tempering" happening.
sqmonte 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2010 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Get whatever amp you can afford that will do 1000-1200rms @ 2 ohms

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic