icon

adding a shock sensor to a 2000 camry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alltrac92 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2010 at 4:02 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, I have a 2000 Toyota Camry with an OEM dealer installed VIP RS3200 Plus security system which includes a glass breakage sensor. Thanks to the neighboorhood kids throwing balls I now have two dents in my roof that is going to cost me $200 to remove. I would like to add a shock sensor so if this happens again maybe I can catch who did it. I was reading the alarm owners manual and the GBS has a warn away feature that will flash the lights and sounds the horn for 20 seconds. If it detects more tapping or breaking of the glass it will flash and honk the horn for 60 seconds.  I see most of the shock sensors have a dual stage feature too can this be intergrated into my system or should it be wired some other way? If it's too complicated for a novice I will take it to an audio shop. I would value everyone's opinion that way I dont get blindsided and to make sure they do the job right. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

alltrac92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2010 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Did I post this in the wrong section?
jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2010 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
You would need to strategically place and set a shock sensor very sensitive in my opinion to detect something like that. Then we're talking false alarms every time a motorcycle or loud vehicle drives by. Of course you could maybe fit one in your headliner under the roof. That's the only thing I could suggest and set it at midpoint.
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2010 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
I've never heard of warn-away that sounds the alarm for 20 seconds. Maybe a quick chirp or two, but that's it.
Myself, I hateshock sensors! They set your alarm off every time a Harley rides by or someone's bumpin stereo goes by. They are more of a hassle than they are worth.
I've had them in every vehicle, but still don't like them. I set the 1st stage to the lowest sensitivity and the 2nd stage to a higher setting.
I have a preference for Proximity Sensors. But hey, that's just me.
If you have any questions about shock sensors or proximity sensors or any other alarm questions, feel free to ask. If I can help, I certainly will.
alltrac92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2010 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

The 20 second horn honk warn away is straight from the RS3200 manual the only thing that can trigger the warn away is the GBS. Any other triggers will cause a full 60 second horn honk. Thanks for the info kenwood_nut do you think a DEI 508D field intrusion sensor would be a better way to go?

I do live on a busy street with lots of motorcycles, cars with loud mufflers and cars blasting their subwoofers. I'm going nuts constantly looking out the window making sure the neigborhood punks are not throwing footballs or basketballs near my car. I have just found another dent this time on top of my hood.

My car does have a piezo chirper when arming and de-arming the car. If you try arming the car with a door open it will sound a constant chirp/beep to let you know a door is open. I was hoping that either a shock or proximity sensor could be wired  in such a way that the warn away feature could be wired to the piezo chirper instead of the horn and the second stage could trigger the horn honk.

alltrac92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone have more ideas if this will work?

kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
Again, a proximity sensor is the way to go. You're not going to get any other suggestions besides a shock sensor or proximity sensor because there really are not many other alternatives. Just set your proximity sensor's interior sensitivity to max and outside to a bit lower. I don't see any other way to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish. Trust me on this one. I lost count of how many of these I've installed in the last 30 years and I always opt for the proximity sensor (radar, or called other things depending on the maker). About all you can do with your shock sensor is turn it down to minimum sensitivity but I find even THIS will not prevent full alarms when a Harley or stero rumbles by.
Oh, by the way, I'm not familiar with the brand of alarm you have, but 90% of the alarms on the planet have a remote feature where if you press the arm button a second time within a few seconds will disable the optional sensor plugged into it (shock, glass, proximity, etc) but then you would be not getting the feature you want.
I'm just getting confused on what exactly it is you're trying to get from that alarm. It sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to do. Guess you might want to go to a reputable dealer and get their opinion since you don't like our answers.
alltrac92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

kenwood_nut wrote:
Oh, by the way, I'm not familiar with the brand of alarm you have, but 90% of the alarms on the planet have a remote feature where if you press the arm button a second time within a few seconds will disable the optional sensor plugged into it (shock, glass, proximity, etc) but then you would be not getting the feature you want.

The Toyota RS3200 VIP (Vehicle Intrusion Protection) is an OEM alarm that is port or dealer installed. It is made by Fujitsu Ten for Toyota. http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pub-share/pdf/security_system.pdf I have the owners manual and this alarm does not have that remote feature. Also I never asked about disarming the GBS.  

kenwood_nut wrote:
I'm just getting confused on what exactly it is you're trying to get from that alarm. It sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to do. Guess you might want to go to a reputable dealer and get their opinion since you don't like our answers.

In a nutshell I have an OEM alarm that does not have a siren but uses the horn. It has a piezo chirper that chirps. In conjunction the parking lights flash to give confirmation of door lock/unlock. 1 chip/flash=locked      2 chirps/flash=unlocked. It also will make a constant chirp sound if you try to arm the car with any door not fully shut.

I would like to add an aftermarket shock sensor to the factory alarm. I have read on many forums that you won't be able to use the warn away funtion. I would like to know if the warn away could could be wired to the piezo chirper and the second stage honks the horn?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic