the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

500 watts vs 1000 watts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
i just saw you mentioned "sparkomatic" in your sig, ive only ever seen one pair of sparkomatic speakers and all i could think of was what a horrible name for anything dealing with sound electronics.
66sportfury 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
i just saw you mentioned "sparkomatic" in your sig, ive only ever seen one pair of sparkomatic speakers and all i could think of was what a horrible name for anything dealing with sound electronics.

yes terrible name for a horrible product, the sound exploder was a booster in the 80's maybe the 70's? it was junk too.

ac delco am radio and sparkomatic 40 watt sound exploder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
The power rating of the subwoofers means nothing except the voice coils are wound differently.  However, if the sensitivity of both is the same, then one receiving more power input will produce more dbSPL than the one receiving less input.  How much more depends on a lot of factors you have not described, and is likely unpredictable.  But more power into a 90db sensitive woofer will produce a higher output than less power into a 90db sensitive woofer.
Support the12volt.com
66sportfury 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

thank you dyohn,

so running 500 watts in a 1000 watt rms sub will be as loud as running 500 watts in a 500 watt rms sub,

being everything else is the same in the subs except the rms power rating, which was described in a earlier post as impossible,

this is what i was looking for as with 1 of heymphyst said sorry if i spelled his handle wrong

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
First: I am sorry if you thought *I* thought you were wasting my time... You weren't. If you were, I wouldn't have answered in the first place.
And B: I answered the way I did, because you were not terribly descriptive in your question, I was simply trying to cover all the bases.
Not meaning to offend or push (this time), I am glad I might have shed some light on the subject. I was only trying to help! :P
As long as the alignments of the driver/enclosure are equal, (meaning that both are in a .707 (or 1.1, or .5) enclosure) and their efficiencies are equal, then the rated power handling of the woofer will have no bearing on their outputs, at equal power. Their outputs will be equal, with equal power applied.
66sportfury 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
First: I am sorry if you thought *I* thought you were wasting my time... You weren't. If you were, I wouldn't have answered in the first place.
And B: I answered the way I did, because you were not terribly descriptive in your question, I was simply trying to cover all the bases.
Not meaning to offend or push (this time), I am glad I might have shed some light on the subject. I was only trying to help! :P
As long as the alignments of the driver/enclosure are equal, (meaning that both are in a .707 (or 1.1, or .5) enclosure) and their efficiencies are equal, then the rated power handling of the woofer will have no bearing on their outputs, at equal power. Their outputs will be equal, with equal power applied.

yes i know i wasn't to descriptive, and rather dry and generic. i knew I'm my mind my question perfect, =+)   

thanks you guys have helped out allot, no offence taken, people have their own way of answering. if everyone had the same way of thinking it would make for a dull life,

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  

My post was cranky and that was why I deleted it.  Like the old boxer (who lost the fight) said, "I should've stood in bed".  But your thread turned out pretty good after all, huh?

I had Sparkomatic speakers in my first car.  No amplifier, just the speakers, but I must have also had a cassette tape deck too (probably a Sparkomatic mounted under the dash) but I can't remember.  And I mounted those bad boys on top of the rear deck in plain view.  I would fall asleep in my car listening until the tape ran out, it sounded so great.  Hoo boy...

Someone actually broke into my '73 Javelin and stole those Sparkomatics.  They were in plain view...

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
66sportfury 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2010 at 5:45 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

My post was cranky and that was why I deleted it.   But your thread turned out pretty good after all, huh?

I had Sparkomatic speakers in my first car.  No amplifier, just the speakers, but I must have also had a cassette tape deck too (probably a Sparkomatic mounted under the dash) but I can't remember.  And I mounted those bad boys on top of the rear deck in plain view.  I would fall asleep in my car listening until the tape ran out, it sounded so great.  Hoo boy...

Someone actually broke into my '73 Javelin and stole those Sparkomatics.  They were in plain view...

yeah wasn't bad., i know the one watt at i meter,  i kinda sounded like a dumb as& but, never hurts to ask anyway,

don't get me started on stolen stuff. every time id lock the doors someone would break in. so i said screw it, i leave my windows open and doors unlocked, never had anything stolen since.   oops i lied a pack of smokes.

stolen

that i can remember. punch 30hd, punch 150hd,  A pair of fultron 6x9's, 4 fultron pro series 10", alpine 8022s? amp. 3 alpine, 2 tape decks, 1 cd. Orion cobalt 15. (1995  yr) arc audio cxl 2050, 2 Polk db 6.5, power acoustik 1200 something amp (joke was on them it was a PA haha) 2 12" hifonic subs, 2~ 12 inch blues (who remembers them?) a epicenter, a copy cat epicenter, a pair of polk 5.25 ex separates, coustic 10"  clarion cd player,  Fulton parametric eq,  Panasonic cd player, RF series1 12" RF punch 12" i know I'm missing stuff just don't remember, and a 1995 dodge stratus, i think i have pics of that car on here from when i was a member in 05?

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2010 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

My post was cranky and that was why I deleted it.  Like the old boxer (who lost the fight) said, "I should've stood in bed".  But your thread turned out pretty good after all, huh?

HAHAHA! +1 for nostalgia
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic