icon

alternator wiring out of vechile

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
qtipextra 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2010 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Im doing a home made project using an old lawn mower engine and an alternator to charge 12v batteries.
I have a CS style Delco Remy alternator which I am trying to figure out how to wire up. Its a CS style alt, so it has the case as ground, a battery out post, and then a plug with 4 additional wires, labeled S,F,L,P.
My issue is I cant figure out how to wire the the alternator's field coil. All the applications that I have seen show it in a vehicle wiring scheme with all the vehicle wiring in tact. I am trying to figure out how to get it running out of a vehicle.
I am using a 30 watt, 30 ohm resistor in series with the field coil to limit the current through it. I have played around with multiple configurations, and it appears I am energizing the coil, however I feel no magnetic pull on the alt shaft when I spin it. It spins just as freely as when I don't have current running through it.
Could anyone help me figure out how to wire the field coil?
Thanks so much for your help!
edouble101 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2010 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
You might not feel any resistance when spinning an alternator because it needs to be spinning well above 1000rpm to make a decent charge and it needs a load to charge.
Good luck.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2010 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
It should have resistance at any speed (unless CS type is different).
It is usually because there is no rotor current else stator load else no regulation (ie, not rotor current).
I am more familiar with DP types (interact with EMS) else older SIL types (Sense to battery, L to hot charge Lamp to provide tickle current else Ign on signal, and optional Ign. D+ is "L" for single wire alternators.)
But I recommend the proper regulator.... the rotor current has to vary with speed and load to keep a constant voltage output.   
Or is CS an ancient external regulator type...?
I'd guess S = Sense (to battery +12V) L to charge Lamp; F to Field; & maybe P to Power (Ign +12V); with both alternator & regulator being grounded through the chassis/body. (What else could P be?)
qtipextra 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2010 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
It should have resistance at any speed (unless CS type is different).
It is usually because there is no rotor current else stator load else no regulation (ie, not rotor current).
I am more familiar with DP types (interact with EMS) else older SIL types (Sense to battery, L to hot charge Lamp to provide tickle current else Ign on signal, and optional Ign. D+ is "L" for single wire alternators.)
But I recommend the proper regulator.... the rotor current has to vary with speed and load to keep a constant voltage output.   
Or is CS an ancient external regulator type...?
I'd guess S = Sense (to battery +12V) L to charge Lamp; F to Field; & maybe P to Power (Ign +12V); with both alternator & regulator being grounded through the chassis/body. (What else could P be?)
Thanks for the responses!
This is an internally regulated alt that is most commonly used in today's vehicles.
I too am used to the older style where you can feel the EMF effect on the rotor shaft (directly associated with how much current is flowing through the field coil) without a load. Maybe having no additional load connected is why I am experiencing what I am and I actually had it hooked up correctly.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2010 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
I just looked up CS alternators.
AFAIAConcerned they are merely SL alternators with 2 extra terminals (F & P) that are often not used.
Hence all you should need (eg, if a CS 130) is S to battery +12V (else alternator output (B or B+?) for testing, and L to a 12V bulb (eg, 2-3W) that goes to +12V.
Note that you may need +12V to initiate charging (eg - see novaresource's SI to CS Alternator Conversion) - that's what the charge lamp is for - to provide a trickle or tickle current for the rotor in case the rotor has no residual magnetism (no magnet, no generation nor resistance (force) etc.)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic