wiring two 4 ohm woofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tambro4 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2010 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
ok so im in the process of reconfiguring my subs
i currently have a rockford fosgate P2L-212 (two P2d412's) 4 ohm dvc's wired in series-parallel connected to a mtx x thunder 1000xd the older one with like ~500watts rms @ 4 ohms
i also have a custom box i got from a friend that had 2 diamond d1 12's which were 2 ohm dvc's and were hooked up to a pioneer prs d1100m
at some point i blew the diamonds and decided to buy something new at which point i picked up the above setup
i was satisfied with the RF's and the mtx but i always felt like the d1's used to hit harder/lower
anyway i am going to put the p2's in the old/custom box as it fits better in my trunk and in the process i had planed on rewiring the new subs to present a 2 ohm load to the amp only to find that that is basically impossible
so ultimately my questions are
1 is it even necessary to try to get more power to these subs. i mean, each one is rated for 250 rms so the way it is could be ok i just was wondering if i could get some more poundage out of them
2 if so is there any possible way to wire 2 4 ohm dvcs to present a 2 ohm load to the amp so i can get my full 1000watts rms
3 if not should i just stick with 4 ohms and deal with the reduced power or should i go for a 1 ohm load (is that even safe for the amp/subs)
sorry if this seemed kinda long i just wanted to make sure i gave you as much info as i could so you could help me
thanks
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 09, 2010 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

The amplifier won't handle the low 1 ohm load, so don't consider that route.  You have a pair of woofers that will present a combined 4 ohm load on an amplifier, and that's what you've got to deal with.  I will discourage you from taking any (conceivable) advice on using just one coil on each DVC... As a novice, you should put the right gear together to get the matchup that will please you rather than trying out methods that are rarely employed.

With the equipment that you have, that's that.  By the way, the "custom" box is no longer a custom box when you change out the drivers.  What you really have is a box with 12" cutouts which you fitted with 12" woofers.

And finally, no it is not ever necessary to fully supply the power that a woofer is rated to handle.  One watt will make them sing and they are happy with that if that's all they get.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic