icon

bypass won't program

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hurklehurkle 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2010 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all.  I installed a Viper 5902 into my 2004 Dodge Dakota.  The bypass module I used was an xpresskit DLPKCHG1.  The manual says when connecting the bypass the red led will go on, insert a key and turn it to ON and the red led will flash and turn off, indicating the module is programming.  The problem I'm having is the red led never goes out.  I have only 2 wires used and the D2D plug.  I have the violet wire going to pin 2 of the diagnostic plug, and the violet/white to the lt.GREEN/ tan wire in the kick panel, by the door trigger wires.  I have reflashed the module a couple times with the proper firmware (11.CHRY3 v1.03) and didn't make a difference.

One thought I had was my son was helping me install it, and I'm thinking maybe he programmed the transponder with the keys before setting up the bypass properly first.  Would this cause problems?  I think I read somewhere that you can only program the transponder once, but it didn't really relate to my issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 09, 2010 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
The violet/white wire from the bypass should be connected to the light GREEN/ orange wire in the driver side kick panel. The light GREEN/ orange wire when metered for ground should change voltage when the key is turned from neutral to lock and neutral to unlock. The voltage should read higher with the key in the lock position. Your problem should not be the result of this connection though.
If you think it is a program issue you can reset the bypass module if you follow the directions on page 4 of the manual.
Bypass module manual
Mode 8 will reset the module.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
hurklehurkle 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2010 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

Thankyou for the reply!

I'm sorry, I meant orange when I said tan.  I don't think I can reset the module because I can't get past step 2 in the manual.  It would be tricky if it's possible, because the led just stays on, and it needs to flash to know if it's programming or not.  I'm guessing the programming is in a different part of memory and not affected by flashing?

91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 10, 2010 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
When you are resetting the bypass you do it with the key in the cylinder but the ignition is in the OFF position. Program mode is performed with the key in the ON position.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
Altheya 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2010 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
I have basically same setup, all wires are good cuz it worked for a few months, now it's like the bypass isn't working (truck starts and turns off like no bypass).  I try to program the transponder in the bypass again- insert key, on for 5 secs, insert 2nd key, on for 10 secs (security light behaves for both), remote start in deisel mode, the security light just flashes, never goes solid or off or anything.  Why would it stop working like that, and how can I fix it?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 30, 2010 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
transponder can only be programmed once!
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Altheya 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
What could be the problem then?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.