icon

volume too loud at lowest setting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vtvette 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2010 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche with the factory Bose system. I replaced the factory head unit with a Kenwood DDX 512 head unit. The factory chevy's Bose amps have RCA connectors running up to the head unit so, I plugged the Kenwood RCA connectors into the chevy RCA connectors to power the speakers. Everything works great but, the volume is too loud at the lowest setting. When the Kenwood is set to "0", there is no volume. When the Kenwood is set to "1", it's a bit too loud for a normal conversation to take place. This is not an issue when I am alone but, with others in the truck when you're trying to have a conversation it's annoying.
Is there something I can plug in between the head unit and factory amp RCA'a to lower the power a little?
Thanks,
corrado007 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2010 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
I'm definitely not a professional so just throwing some really basic ideas out there. Is there a gain control on the amp that would allow you to turn it down a bit so the volume on the Kenwood would have to be turned up to hear it? Or perhaps a loudness setting on the deck that could be adjusted down?
Hopefully someone with some specific experience with the units you are using will have some suggestions for you too.
Good luck. :)
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 10, 2010 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
What make and model wiring harness did you use? 
vtvette 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2010 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
What make and model wiring harness did you use? 
I Believe I used the Metra kit appropriate for my year but, I did not use any of the speaker wires on the adapter harness - the Kenwood has RCA outs, and there were RCA cables that I assume were built into the truck from Chevy coming up from the bose amp.
One note, while the RCA connectors in the truck appeared to be stock there was an aftermarket pioneer in the truck I removed when I installed the Kenwood.
I swear I've read that the factory Bose amp's have RCA connectors leading up to, and plugging into, the factory head unit in my truck?
Thanks,
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 11, 2010 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

Bose amps do not have RCA connectors on them.  When they installed the Pioneer, they connected an aftermarket harness to the vehicles radio plug.  What is the brand and the model of this adapter?  

Was it this loud with the pioneer deck?

The reason I am asking about a brand and model is that some of them are adjustable.  When looking for the make and model, look for 4 gain adjustments.

lenny herrera 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2010 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
hi,recently i set up my sistem,i have a 2001 galant 3.0...i was wonder if any one can tell me how many amperes i can go high whi out damage the computer in the car...i have 90 amperes factory....thanks.
lenny herrera
vtvette 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
Guys I accidentally provided a bit of misinformation in my original post.
Today I had the deck out of the truck to install a PAC SWI-JACK to regain my steering wheel controls and it turns out the deck is installed via the Metra wiring kit, using the standard speaker wires.
It was the Pioneer that was wired with RCA connectors (RCA connector ends were wired into the bypass harness, then plugged into the back of the pioneer's RCA connectors).
Sorry guys, I had the two decks confused.
BUT - as it turns out I think I've solved my problem using the SWI-JACK and wheel controls. I programmed one of the buttons on the wheel to "mute" when pressed. While it does not actually "mute" the stereo, it does turn on the "ATT" function which is a nice, low level at which a conversion can comfortably take place.
Another button is programmed to "pause" the song when a CD or MP3 is being played.
Sorry for the confusion in my previous post.
thanks for the replies,
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2010 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you may have speaker level outputs connected to line level inputs...
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic