icon

new system going in 2001 eclipse spyder

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cadillacskates 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

Im putting 2 Kenwood KFC-P709PS (4 ohm, 80 W RMS) component and tweeters, along with 2 Kenwood KFC-6972ie 6 x 9s (4 ohm) powered by an Alpine MRP-f300 amp and a Kenwood HU into my 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT. I was wondering if it will be necessary to install crossovers on the 6.5s and tweeters, or all of the speakers. I understand the basic function of crossovers but am not sure when or where there suposed to be used. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

corrado007 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2010 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
Hi cadillacskates, welcome to the forum. I'm a rookie here too but I've been reading on here for some time and I can tell you that this a great place to learn.
It looks like you've picked some pretty nice speakers and I think the amp is a good choice to push them too. The 6.75's and tweeters come with in-line crossovers if I'm not mistaken as should the 6x9's since they are 4 way; the factory would want to filter the signal going to each component of the 4 way so it sounds clean. If I recall right, the manufacturer will typically just put a capacitor across tweeters to filter out the lows so only high frequencies will pass to it and and similarly,capacitors and coils of various sizes can be used to filter mids and lows properly also. Passive cross-overs are often nothing more than that; a large coil can for instance be but in series with a woofer to filter out unwanted high and mid frequencies so you get clean bass. I would guess your set-up will sound really nice without the need for a crossover. If you were running a subwoofer and multiple amplifiers you might want to use a crossover to filter the inputs so you only amplify the desired frequencies before you send them to their respective amplifiers and components but it doesn't sound like that's the case here. I'd bet you'll be able to adjust the speakers adequately with the basic controls on the head unit.
Perhaps someone else who does this professionally rather than just on their own cars will have a different opinion or more to add but that's my thought on it. Hope that helps.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2010 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Follow the installation instructions that came with your speakers.  They will include the appropriate crossover for the tweeters.  You will also want to activate the high pass crossover on your amp and set it to about 80 to 100Hz if you have a subwoofer.
Support the12volt.com
cadillacskates 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2010 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help. I looked in the Bo and there was a bundle of speaker wire with a black thing on the wire, by only one. Is that right?
corrado007 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2010 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe a little more of a description or a picture?
cadillacskates 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
So i talked to a buddy about the crossovers and it turns out that the manufacturer just shorted the box. went back to the store and got one. Now, next question, is a capacitor necessary for this system. The way i understand is that a capicitor just keeps the power level to the rest of the car "even" and stops things like light dimming. If one is necessary, i would appreciate some input on what kind(size, fared rate, etc)
corrado007 
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't think you'd need one with your setup. It's a nice conservative amp pushing midrange for the most part. I usually see caps in systems with multiple amps pushing hundreds of watts to subwoofers. It's something you could always add down the road if you notice problems but I'd bet you'll be fine without it.
cadillacskates 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Well the plan is to eventually add 2 1200 watt Type Rs. Not sire what amp Im gonna push em with though
corrado007 
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
cadillacskates wrote:
Well the plan is to eventually add 2 1200 watt Type Rs. Not sire what amp Im gonna push em with though
That'll be some serious bass!
I'd personally still go without a cap for now. It seems like you can just add it when you eventually decide on and get the amp you're going use to push the Type Rs. You can just install the amp and cap at the same time. Especially if you plan to mount them somewhere visible; that way you can plan the mounting of the two of them together.
Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic