icon

ground question?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
equalizir 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
hi guys,just wanted to know for a multiple amp setup can i use one ground point?or do i have to have three separate ground points?
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

I always just use a single grounding point and have never had problems

Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
Just get yourself a distribution block and ground them all there (similar ground block to the power one) then sand a spot somewhere in your car and you are done.
Danground question? -- posted image.
equalizir 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
hi dan,im kinda confused on the grounding from the distro block.i have an rf 3 four gauge with 4 8 gauge out.you mean i can use one of the 4 gauge inputs to use as a ground?then i would'nt have to ground from the amps or should i ground also from the amps just in case?
Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

I think what dan is talking about is using a seperate distribution block for your grounds.  Hook up each of your amp grounds to the dist. block then run 1 or 2 heavy guage wires to ground.  That way you don't have a bunch of wires going everywhere, it looks good too it you wire it neatly.

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

yes equalizir you are correct.  Just try to forget that the 4-gauge connection on the distro. block is usually used (and might even be labeled) as the input hookup.  The distro. blocks will work in either direction, and in your situation the 4-gauge connection will really be the block's output, and it will run to a ring terminal that's screwed in to your grounding point on the vehicle's chassis.  The four 8-gauge connections are really gonna be the distro block's inputs.  Each 8-gauge connection on the distro block will run to its own amplifier and connect to the ground connection on the amp.

Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
Just to add my ridiculous 2 cents to this one, I've done the same thing, with 3-8 AWG wires going in to the "wrong" side of the D-block and a 2AWG wire going to the ground. Works fine for me. I just stuck in a few fuses rated at the same ones from my power block, and can't find any problems out of the ordinary so far.
CTW
MECP Sales
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, to add another question: Are seat mounting posts bolted directly to the chassis? My buddy and I are in an argument right now...he says no and I say yes.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
blazer, it depends on the car...most do but I believe I have seen some that dont...it would make sense and I would say your claim is more the norm and his more the exception...
and yes, using distro blocks is a wonderful way to tie up your grounds...very clean and cosmetic as well as being 100% functional and utilitarian...I have used separate distro blocks for a long time now and have never had a problem...
one other thing Blazer, why would you fuse your grounds? I think that kind of limits the system and is unnecessary...if your positive leads are fused then they are already the weak spot in the system...I think that you are really doing more harm than good by having 2 fuses in the same circuit...you always want your ground to be at least equal to and usually greater than your power...I typically use larger wire for my grounds, especially at the distro block...by fusing the ground, you totally negate any benefit of doing this...
just my personal opinion...
Powerslave0 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
I have used the SEAT, and SEAT BELT bolts for ground points in some strange apps for other people. Like above, most are bolted to the body.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic